[sustran] Re: Open Versus Closed Busways

Lee Sims lsims at ibigroup.com
Fri Nov 23 05:02:07 JST 2007

OPEN AND CLOSED BUSWAYS
The right solution for any busway system depends upon local circumstances
including geography, types of facilities constructed and operators. A busway
which is open to all operators offers the possibility of maximizing its use
and its benefits. A closed busway gives the operator the opportunity to have
tighter control over the operations.
I can offer you some discussion of experience with two busways with which I
am fairly familiar, Bogota and Ottawa.
BOGOTA
Before the Transmilenio system was inaugurated, Bogota had an open busway.
It carried large volumes of buses and people but it had a number of
problems:
* Fares were collected on entry to the vehicles, increasing stop dwell times
and reducing capacity.
* The various private operators had a variety of buses in their fleet. All
of them were smaller than the existing Transmilenio vehicles. This increased
the number of vehicles required to carry the volume, creating capacity
problems.
* Buses were uneven in quality.
* There were frequent breakdowns of vehicles on the busway.
* Stopping positions at stations were disorganized.
The Transmilenio system which replaced these busways offers a number of
advantages:
* High platform direct entry to the high platform buses, reducing dwell
times.
* Off board fare collection, at the entry to the stations, again
significantly reducing dwell times and increasing control.
* Improved state of the vehicles and an overall improved image.
* A more legible and intelligible system.
* The ability to implement various skip stop operations.
The buses on Transmilenio are still operated by private contractors. These
private contractors are only responsible for operating the vehicles with
other agencies responsible for all other aspects of the project.
OTTAWA
Ottawa was one of the first BRT systems with operations starting in 1982. It
has an extremely high modal split for a city of its size in North America.
There are three main busways plus other sections of reserved lanes for buses
on expressways. The urban bus operator, OC-Transpo, has a monopoly on urban
services so there was never a question of providing a completely open
busway. Ottawa does, however, permit intercity carriers to utilize their
busways but this is subject to a number of conditions:
* The various companies have to make suitable arrangements with OC-Transpo
with respect to insurance, liability and other responsibility issues.
* Individual drivers have to take a special training course to qualify to
use the Transitways.
* Stops for intercity buses are only permitted at specified locations.
At almost all stations on the Transitway in Ottawa, there is a bypass lane
at stations so the intercity buses (and urban express buses) can pass
stopping vehicles.
BUS RAPID TRANSIT
It really depends on what you want to do, build a road for buses or operate
a Bus Rapid Transit system. Both are legitimate objectives. A busway by
itself can improve public transit services across a wide area. Providing
rapid transit using bus technology, however, implies a much larger systems
approach through providing:
* Superior vehicles.
* A uniform fare system.
* An overall information system.
* Better control and passenger information.
The subject can be summarized as selecting the best "horses for courses".

Lee Sims - Director
IBI Group
230 Richmond St. West, 5th Floor
Toronto, Ontario