[sustran] Re: Indian roads - planes, cows, elephants, mosques

Sunny sksunny at gmail.com
Sat May 5 00:04:44 JST 2007

Yes Martin you are right but i surely doubt tht the concept of Shared
Space to work in India. Lack of traffic regulations leads to many
problems atleast in India. The other day in Pune I have seen a cyclist
hit by a City Bus and the City bus did not stop.

There has to be a reinstallation of thought in Indian mindset that
cycles, rickshaws and transit are not degraded means of transportation.
Yes we are prioritising in India but sadly the priority goes to the cars
or motorbikes.and We also have vulnerable road-users at the top of our
road deaths table.

In my opinion segregation of traffic and then giving priority to Mass
transit and Non motorised would be a start. Same time reducing the space
available for personal "motorised" transport

We have some nice photographs on our website (link below) from
developing countries and they might interest you in seeing how the
situation is in India.

Sunny
Sustainable Urban Transport Project
www.sutp.org