[sustran] Re: Google buses- comfort!, Japan, again, comfort, often combined with greater speed and lower cost

mpotter mpotter at gol.com
Mon Mar 19 23:27:39 JST 2007

I can certainly testify to the lure of comfort here in Japan.

Here in Kyushu, for example, I have friends who routinely leave their
cars in the driveway to take limited express trains with names like the
Sonic, Kamome (seagull) or the Ariake (named for a small inland sea).
These are all electric, 140 km hr. max cruising speed trains,
spotlessly clean,  quiet (save irritating announcements), frequent and
on time.  If one seems to be  late better check your watch.

  They have comfortable (certainly more comfortable than what you see in
the Google vans), plentiful seating except at the most crowded holiday
times, and are smooth enough to read fine print without losing your
place.  Compared with  a single driver, they are cheaper   than paying
tolls.   Mostly they're used for  suburbs of intermediate distance and
cities within 100 kilometers or so away from a major city.  The local
trains are about 2/3 the price, but are slow aren't comfortable enough
to lure people from their cars unless traffic is pretty bad, which it
often is.  They are populated by the old and the young and the visibly
less well off.

For lesser distances, one can choose between the smelly, jerky but very
clean buses, in some cities the smooth, punctual but often overcrowded
(hideously so in Tokyo at rush hour, only slightly less so in Osaka)
subways, or the aforementioned local trains. One of the chief
advantages of the subways and trains is that, in given situations, they
are faster and cheaper than driving. The bus doesn't enjoy the former
of these two advantages.  And  though longer distance buses can be
quite comfortable, they can't compete with the better trains.

All that said, my personal choice here in Fukuoka, when distance and
weather permit, which they often do, is the bicycle.

My point is that the Japanese system is very high quality and offers
alternatives.  In major urban areas, for many commuters it's truly
competitive with the automobile along most parameters. The result is
that Japanese are both more mobile and have better access to services
than most Americans or Europeans outside a few select cities.  And they
have this mobility and access at a lower per capita transportation
cost, particularly when compared to Americans. But that said, a key
factor is that the car is much less heavily subsidized in Japan than in
the US.  In most cities, parking is cheap, but not free, as it is in
America where free parking, outside of major city downtowns, is almost
considered a basic human right.

Cheers,
Mark Potter
millennium3