[sustran] Re: Local cycling environment indicators: More on . . .

Todd Edelman, Green Idea Factory edelman at greenidea.info
Fri Jun 8 14:56:22 JST 2007

Eric Britton (Fr) wrote:
> [...]
TWO things:

1 - A little philosophy. In the perfect holistic and sustainable urban
mobility chain, there is no competition between cycling and public
transport. Of course looking at it one way it is clear that there is, as
someone may ask themselves "Should I take the bus or the bike...?" but
then again they could continue with "...or walk, or work at home?". So
then, from another point of view, we have the PT operators saying to
themselves "Our competition is fast Internet connections!" This is
nonsense. And made worse by the fact that PT operators could not say
that in public. In regards to bicycles, there is lots of talk of
complementariness - i.e. using personal or shared bikes as feeders and
parking them - AND competition - i.e. just using the one or the other...
so, that begs the question for advocates of New Mobility (or Reducing
the Need for Mobility by Planning for Proximity) of the best way to
frame this, the most useful perspective.

One of perhaps many useful perspectives is that of the municipal
powers-that-be which create contractual conditions for their PT
operators, whether or not they own them. One of the conditions would be
- and I suppose is in some cities already - that the business of all
transportation modes is to work together to create the greatest result
for sustainability. Looking at this way, there is no competition. If
people take a bike instead of the bus, then the bus operator must be
happy, because, after all, the cyclist is happy. As long as the PT is
the best that local can buy and the bikes yield to pedestrians, both
means are superwonderful. But of course this is not so simple, it is
nuanced, and facilitated by things like citywide mobility smartcards
which can be used for everything from PT to bikeparking to a discount on
bike parts. This means users of sustainable transport are buying into
the complete system, not just this OR that. And it benefits everyone
(whether they know it or not...).

***

2 - The North American "penchant for putting racks on buses" - if anyone
is not familiar with this incredibly successful programme please see
here:
<http://www.thunderheadalliance.org/site/images/uploads/Bikes_on_Buses_Facts_Sheet.doc>
PLUS an extensive list of operators which use front bike racks – and
indeed lots of information about the whole intermodal picture in the
U.S. – is at <http://www.bikemap.com/bikesontransit> PLUS
<http://www.sportworks.com> OR come to my workshop at VeloCity - is not
replaceable by having bikes at destinations. Sure, the systems can
complement each other, and bikes on buses has a more minor role, but
there are many situations where personal bikes cannot be replaced by
shared bikes or bikeparking. One of the most significant is taking a
bike from A to B to C. Where B = public transport and A to B and B to C
are long journeys, and C is where the "sustainable transport customer"
is a bit of any out of the way place where they are going to be for some
hours, overnight, etc. While they could use their own bike to get from A
to B and park it, to get from B to C using a shared bike is a problem
because it would be out of the mix for a long time at location C, and
also the customer would be paying for nothing. There are partial
solutions for this - e.g. self-contained shared bikes used in Deutsche
Bahn Call-a-Bike
<http://www.callabike-interaktiv.de/kundenbuchung/process.php?proc=english&f=500&key=1e8bae36142a269f28d20215ce06dd49...00000>-
but the bikes used are VERY expensive and are limited to a certain part
of town.

- T

Todd Edelman
Director