[sustran] Re: [NewMobilityCafe] Re: World's Most Congested Cities-Better, faster, cheaper? - " Desperate Times require Desperate measures"

Sudhir sudhir at secon.in
Thu Jan 4 11:47:33 JST 2007

" Desperate Times require Desperate measures"

The Problem with Indian cities is that people will use the public transportation if it is cheap and has high Level of Service.
One can see people hanging in the overcrowded buses even without having good LOS.
The answer to ever multiplying congestion can be any good traffic demand management technique BRT, Metro etc..
Congestion will never on itself attract the masses to public transportation. The government should provide the suitable alternative.
Congestion is never in itself a TDM tool, The government should channel the desire of public to escape congestion by offering good sustainable transportation.
I had advocated metro in my earlier mail as I firmly believe that in a long run (say 10-15 years down the line) it will push people away from personal automobiles.
Other public transportation modes such as buses can augment metro efficiency if properly planned.
Metro is not a "magician's wand" which would disappear congestion in a flash.
Metro in Delhi may or may not provide profits to the government right now. The government decision making should not be influenced by such short term profits.
In long run the metro investment will serve its purpose. It takes time to attract "choice riders" .
I don't believe that the person will not walk just because he does not have footpath.
 Provision of Footpath and other facilities will attract pedestrians no doubt.In India many poor people walk from bus station
to work place or to home as they don't have any other alternative. You cannot expect a car owner to cycle around 10km just because government has provided him a cycle track.It may not work in India as a normal one way work trip in Indian metro's is easily more than 5-10km.
if you want to attract a person with better alternative than you have to provide even better service.
The best answer for any city is provision of cheap public transportation with good level of service .
I don't feel that there is any controversy with above statement.
I feel the provision of Metro is a step in right direction. BRT may not work for all the corridors.
As the land acquisition is a big problem. People in India don't have lane discipline.
One can see people driving on footpaths, one ways (opposite direction) and jumping signals.
BRT may be a short term improvement measure but It may not work exceedingly well for entire city.
Just imagine if any city in world offers free ride in Public transportation with excellent service.
Hope this dream becomes a reality.

Regards
Sudhir