[sustran] Re: Second Master Plan for Chennai. - request for comments

Jonathan E. D. Richmond richmond at alum.mit.edu
Mon Apr 16 02:44:29 JST 2007

I am in Chennai right now. I would be amazed if anything close to planning
were ever to be possible here.

The city is a disgusting dump -- in fact, the whole place appears to be
one big public urinal as far as I can see! The city cannot even plan
public toilets: the few that exist are so sickening that people piss on
the outsides of them as well as in the street everywhere.

Almost everything in this city is a mass of unplanned ugliness. I don't
know if there is a city bus system, as no information is available (as is
usual in Indian cities, nothing is done for the consumer). There is a
small rail system, served by filthy trains whose doors stay open at all
times. I got off one such train last night to be landed in a deserted
station with no information and filled with people sleeping rough in
the middle of piles of garbage: the smell was so bad that I could hardly
walk to the main road to have the opportunity of being ripped off by one
of the many rickshaw wallahs who refuse to use their meters.

So, how does one plan in this environment?

My answer is that there is no point in planning at all, because the plans
will not come to reality until institutions have changed. The existing
house must be put in order before anything new can be realized -- and that
is a very hard job amidst the mismanagement, corruption, and dirt that
constitutes Chennai today.

                                --Jonathan

-----
Jonathan Richmond