[sustran] Re: Driving in Bangalore

Zvi Leve zvi at inro.ca
Fri Sep 1 04:39:11 JST 2006

Many years ago I did some work on traffic safety and I happened to come
across a very interesting article about "inexplicable" run-off-road
accidents in Jordan. It was found that on the better quality roads,
there were actually /more/ incidents of cars just "randomly" going off
the road! The author decided that this could only be due to what he
called the "magic carpet phenomenom": most Jordanian drivers (at the
time at least) had very limited driving experience, and the car was very
much considered a miracle device. The better the road quality, the more
likely they were to feel that the car will "just drive itself" - a magic
carpet if you will!

Anyway, I think that this concept applies in many rapidly developing
areas where there are huge number of new drivers, as well as other road
users who now have to contend with all these "miracle devices" zooming
about everywhere. Surely education and standards are necessary, but
there is no replacement for experience! And a bit of humour along the
way certainly helps.

I once asked an Iranian colleague about his perspective on the accident
rates in Teheran and his reply was: "If you physically cannot get from
point A to point B, who really cares about road safety!" Which brings us
back to the basic point of the new mobility agenda: what is the point of
mobility, and can our needs be met with less mobility? At the end of the
day, we are arguing about "quality of life", not quality of mobility.

Cheers,

Zvi