[sustran] 2006 World Technology Environment Awards - Join us in seconding nominations of Jan Gehl and Greenwheels

Eric.Britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Mon May 22 05:07:28 JST 2006

Dear Friends,

This year, after a number of emails and calls to discuss many great
ideas, we are finally nominating two outstanding innovators for the 2006
World Technology Environment Awards, one an individual pioneer and one
group showing the way.  Our group nominees this year are the redoubtable
Dane Jan Geld and the Greenwheels carsharing organization in the
Netherlands (the fastest growing such group in the world).

This is as many of you will recall a group effort each year, and you are
as always invited cordially to anticipate and make sure that our
nominees receive the international recognition that they so richly
deserve. The path to do this is short and simple: all you have to do is
click to the New Mobility Agenda at www.newmobility.org
<http://www.newmobility.org/>  and from there click 2006 Awards on the
top menu. At that point you will see the first draft of our nominations,
together with everything you need to quickly join us in this fine group
effort.

I would remind you that we have a 100% hit ratio for our nominations
over the last three years, the reason being not only the exceptional
contributions of people and teams like: Hans Monderman for his reducing
one technology (the motor car) to it rightful (rather modest) pace in
residential streets; and the Seoul :Restoration Technology" car control
project in their city;  in 2004 Ken Livingstone for leading Congestion
Charging project  in London, and the Stockholm Partnerships for
Sustainable Cities program; and back in 2003 a trio of outstanding
carsharing project each trying to push the envelope in terms of the
emerging city/car agenda: Caisse Commune in Paris, City Car Club in
Helsinki, and Statoil Bilpool in Stockholm - but also the way that we
have got behind them to make sure that the judges and many others as
well understand the importance of their contributions.

Last year we have more than fifty of our international colleagues join
us in the nominations, and this year we hope to do at least as well. It
is important to get the message out, and to do it right require that we
all join in.

We need to go for every chance we run across. Only in that way will we
make the progress that is so badly needed.

My sincere thanks for joining us to support Jan and the Greenwheels
teams. And indeed all our work.