[sustran] Fair Transport - comments

Eric.Britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Tue May 2 01:44:20 JST 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Zimmer [mailto:pzimmer at eastlink.ca]
Sent: Monday, May 01, 2006 4:27 PM

FAIR TRANSPORT?   I like this proposed semantic shift from "sustainable
transport".  It opens explicitly  questions of inclusion,
cross-generational impacts, ... and moves it beyond "mere" ecology

(which is a boring guilt trip to many).

"Is it fair that traffic engineers and highway designers impute a value
for motorists' time lost in traffic jams at $15 an hour, and never even
bother to calculate the time losses imposed on pedestrians, the

disabled and transit users, much less give them a fair, equal  monetary
value as they calculate costs and benefits?" ....

I like it.  Let's think about adopting this in Ecology Action Centre and
our Transportation Issues Committee.

Peter