[sustran] Sustran-discuss Digest, Vol 31, Issue 12

Sunny sksunny at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 00:39:34 JST 2006

When accessibility has to be addressed then the need for high density
has also to be satisfied making people use other means such as walking
or cycling, but in developing cities and heavily car dependent cities
this is not the case. Governments and people (in some cases) mistake
mobility for accessibility and in their view as long as it is just a 15
min car journey it is not far. Increasing the Public transit efficiency
will encourage people to use bus for a short travel and encouraging
walking an cycling and high density living with a mixed land use will be
very advantageous. Many Asian cities be it India or a city like Bangkok
has a very good urban fabric of mixed land-use, if required people need
not travel long for daily needs, but the unwelcoming road infrastructure
poses a threat and makes people use car even to cross a road. One such
is the pedestrian overpass, in my opinion, it is an incentive for cars
so that the cars need not stop for the people who cross the road. These
overpasses in many places are not utilised properly and the people still
cross the road in the conventional manner resulting in accidents and
deaths in many cases.

I absolutely agree with Zvi that rail investments are very wise and
important for a city but the results of these investments are not
immediate, they need time and one backdrop of these investments is the
high initial cost and long pay back periods (if fares are to be
affordable even by the poor). On the other hand an investment on BRT
would be a next wise option as the system is similar to Light rail and
can be integrated with regular bus service. On long run the system can
be replaced for a light rail.

Investing in other mass transit is also good but in many cases due to
the over expectation of results the project are termed failed and even
due to design and planning flaws these high investments fail. Some good
failed examples would be the Delhi Metro this is not entirely due to
financial reasons but due to lack of networks with other modes. Though
Bangkok has an impressive Sky train system the fares are high making the
poor and middle class deprived of the benefits and on the other hand the
appalling bus service drives people to ride a car or taxi!.

Charging car users might not be politically advantageous from the
outside but mayors of cities like London, Seoul, Bogota Curitiba, Dar es
Salaam *did not* *lose* their election for the second time. People will
hesitate to spend money at first if there is no alternative but if they
are given a good alternative means of travel then surely I feel they
will not be disappointed. Transport planning has to be done keeping poor
and middle class in mind. Rich people at any state will not leave their
cars unless any means like the "Elite Transit" that Litman was talking a
few posts back might bring them to transit.

Sincerely,
Sunny,

Santhosh Kumar. K
Faculty of Environment and Resource Studies,
Mahidol University,
Thailand
sksunny at gmail.com
sunnysanthosh at gmail.com