[sustran] Fw: [cai-asia] Chinese (Shanghai)-German-Dutch approach to "punish" high polluting vehciles

hfabian at adb.org hfabian at adb.org
Thu Feb 23 18:56:48 JST 2006

 _____

Dear all,

It appears that a new approach is emerging in the struggle to deal with
gross polluting vehciles. In all three cases it involves the introduction
of a sticker system based on vehicle technology/age type, which in all
three cases is linked to the Euro classification.  Certain roads are
blocked, in the case of shanghai the elevated highways during day time, in
the case of Gernany and Netherlands specific roads with high PM levels.
For the Chinese case see
http://www.china.org.cn/english/government/153765.htm ..

Two questions, does anyone have documentation on the German and Ducth plans
in English so that we can document it more properly and is this system also
in place in other cities and countries?

Considering the wide diversity in subscribers to the Listserv I am certain
that there are probably several opinions among the readers of the Listserv
on the merits of this approach. It would be good to hear what the views are
and whether this is something that more cities and countries in Asia should
consider.

Cornie

Cornie Huizenga (Mr)
Head of Secretariat
Clean Air Initiative for Asian Cities (CAI-Asia)
Asian Development Bank
Tel (632) 632-5047
chuizenga at adb.org
www.cleanairnet.org/caiasia