[sustran] Parking Management Best Practices - Discount Expires Feb. 28

Todd Alexander Litman litman at vtpi.org
Tue Feb 21 16:07:24 JST 2006

"Parking Management Best Practices"
(<http://www.vtpi.org/PMBP_Flyer.pdf>http://www.vtpi.org/PMBP_Flyer.pdf
) is an important new book that will change the
way you think about and solve parking problems.
It describes more than two-dozen strategies that
result in more efficient use of parking
resources, and explains how to assemble them into
an effective parking management program.

Parking management can provide huge savings and
benefits. Cost-effective parking management
programs typically reduce parking requirements by
20-40% compared with what conventional planning
specifies. This provides numerous economic,
social and environmental benefits. Parking
management can reduce parking facility costs,
increase housing affordability, reduce motor
vehicle traffic, encourage use of alternative
modes, support more compact and accessible land
use patterns, create more livable communities,
reduce impervious surface and stormwater
management costs, and allow more flexible building design.

Current planning practices tend to overlook and
discourage parking management solutions even when
they are most cost effective and beneficial
overall. This book identifies problems with
current parking planning practices, discusses
parking costs and the savings that can result
from improved management, describes specific
parking management strategies and how they can be
implemented, discusses methods for parking
management planning and evaluation, and describes
how to develop the optimal parking management
program for a particular situation.

"Parking Management Best Practices" is written by
VTPI Executive Director Todd Litman and published
by Planners Press
(<http://www.planning.org>www.planning.org). See
the flyer at
<http://www.vtpi.org/PMBP_Flyer.pdf>http://www.vtpi.org/PMBP_Flyer.pdf
for a substantial discount for orders made before February 28, 2006.

For additional information see our free new
report, "Parking Management: Strategies,
Evaluation and Planning"
(<http://www.vtpi.org/park_man.pdf>http://www.vtpi.org/park_man.pdf
), which summarizes the ideas in "Parking Management Best Practices."

DEPAVING FOR PARADISE – Preface from "Parking Management Best Practices"
Years ago, singer Joni Mitchell lamented that
'They’ve paved paradise and put up a parking
lot.' The song resonates because there is much to
dislike about parking facilities. They tend to be
unattractive and displace more pleasant land
uses. Yet, the same people who protest these
costs often travel by automobile, and require
parking at their destination. We dislike parking
facilities until we need one, at which time we
want it to be abundant, convenient and free. The
tension between the high costs of parking
facilities and our desire for them creates a
conflict for individuals, businesses and communities.

This book attempts to reconcile this conflict. It
describes a variety of management strategies that
can increase the efficiency of parking activities
and reduce the amount of parking required in a
particular situation. This is a practical and
effective way to save money and land, create more
attractive communities, increase user
convenience, and support various other planning objectives.

Most parking management strategies have modest
individual impacts: a five percent reduction
here, a ten percent reduction there, but together
they can often reduce total parking requirements
by a quarter, a third, or even more. This can
represents the difference between a successful or
unsuccessful development, an ugly or beautiful
streetscape, a walkable or automobile-dependent community.

Our challenge is noble but formidable. There are
often obstacles to the implementation of
innovative parking management programs. So arm
yourself before you proceed. Be sure that you are
familiar with all possible parking management
strategies. Identify and publicize benefits.
Develop contingency plans. Treat your allies with
kindness and your foes with respect. Ultimately
you will succeed, because the strategies
described in this book truly make the world a
better place. Parking management helps create paradise.

Sincerely,
Todd Alexander Litman
Victoria Transport Policy Institute (www.vtpi.org)
litman at vtpi.org
Phone & Fax 250-360-1560
1250 Rudlin Street, Victoria, BC, V8V 3R7, CANADA
“Efficiency - Equity - Clarity”