[sustran] Re: ground transport impacts

Sujit Patwardhan sujit at vsnl.com
Tue Apr 4 05:14:36 JST 2006

David,
For a technically impaired person like me (even after looking through the
spreadsheet) it is difficult to understand how a fossil fuel guzzling and
polluting (during manufacture and productive life) car can offer a more
favourable environmental impact than walking and cycling.

If you travel by bike, and plan on traveling more than 32,253 miles in your
life, then it pays to invest in a car for favorable environmental impact
reasons alone - even if you place no value on your time.

Sujit

Sujit Patwardhan
Parisar/PTTF
Pune
India

On 4/4/06, Daryl Oster <et3 at et3.com> wrote:

> This attached spreadsheet illustrates why cars are gaining in market share
> in developing countries, they have far greater VALUE than muscle powered
> transport, and contribute LESS environmental impact.
>
> Even if you value your time at zero; if you walk and plan on traveling
> more
> than 317 miles in your life (but less than 32,253 miles) it pays to invest
> in a bike for favorable environmental impact reasons alone.
>
> If you walk, and plan on traveling more than 8755 miles in your life, then
> it pays to invest in a car for favorable environmental impact reasons
> alone
> - even if you place no value on your time.
>
> If you travel by bike, and plan on traveling more than 32,253 miles in
> your
> life, then it pays to invest in a car for favorable environmental impact
> reasons alone - even if you place no value on your time.
>
> If you place a $15/hour value on your time, then the bike takes only 91
> miles to justify the impact of production vs walking, and the car only
> 2,361miles.  The car compaired with a bike is justified for those who
> value
> their time more than $15/hour if they plan on more than 7275 miles of
> travel.
>
> NOTE -- this analysis ignores the added value obtained if the car is used
> transport it's full capacity of 5 persons -- the impact breakeven point vs
> walking or biking is MUCH faster if the car is used to it's full capacity.
>
> I hope that some of the experts on this list can provide numbers so I may
> include air, bus, and train on this chart, and see the comparisons to
> cars,
> bikes, walking, and ETT.
>

> Daryl Oster
> (c) 2006 all rights reserved. ETT, et3, MoPod, "space travel on earth"
> e-tube, e-tubes,  and the logos thereof are trademarks and or service
> marks
> of et3.com Inc. For licensing information contact:POB 1423, Crystal River
> FL 34423-1423 (352)257-1310, et3 at et3.com , www.et3.com

> (the 'Global South'). Because of the history of the list, the main focus is
> on urban transport policy in Asia.

Sujit Patwardhan
sujit at vsnl.com
sujitjp at gmail.com