[sustran] The Sustainable Transport Debate of Principal Voices

Eric Britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Tue Nov 29 06:36:31 JST 2005

I would like to invite comment here on this contribution, one of the four which are intended to represent the core of the Principal Voices Sustainable Transport Dialogue. (See http://www.principalvoices.com/mexicocity.html for details). Leif Johansson is President and CEO of the Volvo Group (I would remind you that they mainly make busses and trucks, no longer cars).  My question to you – and to him since I invite you to coy your remarks to Stan Stalnaker (email above) who is organizing this event – is how useful is his approach to the real challenges of sustainable mobility and well being in cities.

The Sustainable Transport Debate of Principal Voices

Introduced by Cornelis Van der Bom, President of Shell Mexico, and Nancy Kete <http://www.principalvoices.com/voices/nancy-kete-bio.html> , Director of EMBARQ, and moderated by CNN's Michael Holmes <http://edition.cnn.com/CNN/anchors_reporters/holmes.michael.html>  and Robert Friedman <http://www.fortune.com/fortune/information/edit-bio/0,16267,23,00.html>  of FORTUNE Magazine, the discussion will focus on the issue of sustainable transport, with a particular emphasis on transport policy within urban environments. In what promises to be a fascinating and wide-ranging debate four 'principal voices' will share their views on this most complex and important of subjects: Adriana Lobo <http://www.principalvoices.com/voices/adriana-lobo-bio.html>  of Mexico City's Center for Sustainable Transport; Dr. <http://www.principalvoices.com/voices/claudia-sheinbaum-bio.html>  Claudia Sheinbaum, Secretary of the Environment for Mexico City; Ellatuvalapil <http://www.principalvoices.com/voices/elattuvalapil-sreedharan-bio.html>  Sreedharan, MD of the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation; and aviation expert Hugh <http://www.principalvoices.com/voices/hugh-somerville-bio.html>  Somerville.

Leif Johansson on a systematic approach to the future of transport

Q: The world increasingly relies on mobility, yet we must find ways to reduce its side effects�from pollution to urban sprawl and resource degradation. Where are the bridges between the two, and what specific initiatives can meet the need of the modern world: increased mobility with decreased harm to our surroundings?

A: Like many others, we have found that existing transport systems cannot meet current requirements. This represents a serious problem, considering how rapidly transport needs are growing as production becomes increasingly dependent upon just-in-time deliveries, urbanization gathers pace, particularly in the expanding economies of Asia, and as global trade increases.

We must deal with this growing need, while simultaneously planning the development of sustainable and efficient transport. This is essential for future economic growth.

In parallel with all the efforts being made to develop alternative drivelines and fuels, we at the Volvo Group feel that an initial step could be taken by establishing a systematic approach to transport.

By facilitating a systematic approach, the different types of transport involved could form parts of the same transport chain. This would make the entire transport system more efficient and reduce environmental impact.

The key is to stop focusing on each individual form of transport and to focus instead on a totality in which each form of transport plays its own important role and complements the rest. That is not what is happening today, as it is clearly illustrated within the EU.

Currently, different forms of transport are considered to be in competition with each other. We lose in purely economic terms, while simultaneously missing out on considerable potential environmental gains.

Establishing a systematic approach to transport is not easily achieved. It is a complex task, which will require cooperation between politicians, legislators, the industry, the scientific community and other stakeholders concerned. Trade blocks and nations must cooperate, as well as regions and cities at a local level.

Overall political decisions must be taken where long-term planning and major investments in infrastructure are required. This applies particularly to heavy road shipments that stand still in traffic jams, to inefficient and fragmented railway systems and to harbors that have reached their capacity ceiling.

Within the foreseeable future, we must also make the transition from fossil fuels to other alternatives, which will require new distribution systems for different types of fuels and, consequently, major investments.

However, there are measures that can be rapidly implemented to improve and streamline existing infrastructure.

In Europe, an effective but relatively simple measure, that would not require major investments, would be to increase the maximum permissible vehicle length on selected highways. This would decrease the number of trucks while the volume of goods would remain the same. Studies show that an extended maximum vehicle length of 25 meters would make it possible to reduce the number of shipments by a full 33% and emissions by slightly more than 30%.

Another relatively simple solution would be to enhance collective traffic by means of Bus Rapid Transport Systems, which have gained a strong foothold in South America as a result of their flexibility, cost-efficiency and increased safety.

The great advantage of this system over a subway is that it can offer the same standard of exclusive lanes, efficient terminals, high schedule frequency, modern information systems and advance ticket purchasing but with considerably lower investment costs. It allows routes to be adapted at relatively low cost as the city develops.

Since the buses return to the same depot after completing their route, they can readily be run on local alternatives to fossil fuels.

It should go without saying that I have enormous respect for the difficulties involved in introducing a systematic approach to the transport sector. It is difficult in Europe and, naturally, even more difficult on a global scale. I am personally convinced, however, that it is absolutely necessary to do so. We cannot afford to wait any longer, neither from the point of view of economic growth nor that of the environment. The decisions needed for this will require courage and a long-term vision.