[sustran] Re: Cycling on Pavements - public debate on Singapore govermentfeedback unit

Walter Hook whook at itdp.org
Tue Mar 29 01:18:47 JST 2005

a fine of $1000 seems excessive.  I think you could de-criminalize cycling use on sidewalks without any major problems.  most cyclists will chose to stay in the road because it is very slow to struggle along between pedestrians.  certainly what you want to avoid is forcing adult cyclists to use pavements, and clearly the aim should be to make bicycle travel on the road safer.  if pavements are specially designed to be mixed use facilities then that is ok also.