[sustran] Cycling on Pavements - public debate on Singapore goverment feedback unit

chuwa chuwasg at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 27 01:55:09 JST 2005

Currently, cyclists are prohibited from cycling on pavements. Offenders can face a fine of up to $1,000 or a jail term for up to 3 months. However, the authorities are looking into the possibility of relaxing this rule, said Senior Minister of State for Law and Home Affairs Ho Peng Kee.
The re-think came about after several MPs raised the plight of the cyclists. One such MP who has been advocating a change of this particular rule for the last 3 years is Tampines GRC MP Irene Ng.
The main reason for this change is the apparent danger that cyclists face in the form of the ever increasing number of vehicles on our roads. The number of accidents involving cyclists has also been rising in the past few years.
If changes are made to this particular rule, the safety of pedestrians would not be compromised. A Traffic Police spokesman said that other appropriate rules "would have to be put in place to ensure everyone's safety".
What do you think of the idea to allow cyclists on our pavements? Let's hear your views.