[sustran] Re: Airport ground access modal shares - a request

Brendan Finn etts at indigo.ie
Thu Jul 28 21:58:17 JST 2005

Alan,

I agree with Jonathon's remarks. A taxi from downtown to the airport is less than S$20, or about US$10. It's usually fast (20-25 minutes) and obviously can pick you up from your door. In Singaporean humidity, you'd have to be right next to an MRT station to consider the trip to the airport with luggage, and transfers with luggage within most MRT stations are a hassle (as anywhere) . For a while (I think around 2000-1) you could face a 10 minute plus queue for a taxi from the airport at busy times, but supply now exceeds demand and the queue time has been negligible for the last few years.

Bus suits many people on the east side of the island (same side as Changi) and for them it's price competitive with taxi for 1-2 people, but is very much slower than taxi. It's hardly worth the price-saving to downtown, and definitely not if you're faced with a further transfer (even a short local one).  If you know the bus network, it's ok, but bus routing information is not so friendly to the new or occasional user.

My guess is that taxi is the main mode, followed by private car, with bus and MRT further back. From observation I don't recall so much motorbike traffic on the airport road, compared to other parts of the island especially the west.

For stats, I suggest you e-mail Loh Chow Kuang of the Public Transport Council - website www.ptc.gov.sg . If they don't have the information, they will surely know who does. At their website under the 'News' section, you will find information about their most recent fares increase, including the factors considered and justification. This may also be useful to you.

With best wishes,

Brendan Finn.