[sustran] Re: Terrorism, Transit and Public Safety

Michael D. Setty msetty at publictransit.us
Sat Jul 9 16:19:45 JST 2005

To Mr. Jonathan Richmond, PhD#, the famous Los Angeles "Sextrain"
sexpert:

Go stuff it up where the sun don't shine, Mr. Sextrain.

You, of all people, have some nerve complaining about "lack of
analytical quality" on the part of Litman. I refer here to the
completely irrelevant chapter in your "book" regarding the L.A. Blue
LRT patronage projections, given that an analysis of why Blue Line
ridership is now so much higher (76,000/day+ in May 2005) than the
original estimates would have been relevant, and actually useful
(though an suc an analysis would destroy the underlying premise of
your "book").

It's also very interesting that nearly 18 months later, Randal
O'Toole has apparently chosen to ignore, rather than (to try to)
definitively debunk, Todd's criticisms of Randal's so-called "Rail
Disasters" paper, including the 2005 entry. That is because Todd has
his facts straight, and Randal does not.

And why, OH WHY,  do I have to point out that OF COURSE Todd is not
advocating waiting for 30 people per month to be killed in transit
terrorist incidents. Richmond, don't contribute to the image you
already have of being even more stupid than many of us transit
advocates suspected, claiming someone said something that he did not!
Shame on you, Mr. Sextrain. One of Todd's goals was also to wage a
sort of "preemptive war" on anti-transit extremists, who will
certainly twist the London transit terror attacks into anti-transit
propaganda.

Richmond, Todd's point is so obvious only an ideological-driven idiot
- and academic snob - like you would mischaracterize Todd's point (to
characterize one of your laments in the book: "...all the professors
recommend against rail, and WE are THE EXPERTS! But the unwashed
public and the politicians almost completely ignore us. Sob, sob,
sob...") People are NOT going to be any safer abandoning transit for
auto usage because auto usage has a much higher fatality rate. "Why"
this is so is beside the point in the short term.

We DO know that travel by transit is MUCH safer, as Todd points out.
Besides, to switch from transit to auto travel because to chase
fleeting feelings of being "safer" would not only be futile, it would
be CAPITULATING TO TERRORISM! Certainly London transit users are NOT
willing to do that, except I suppose those British ninnies quickest
to startle. But given the propensity to knee-jerk reactions in
American "culture" (sic), I am uncertain if your type of common sense
depravation isn't typical of many Americans. I hope not. This is a
justified fear that I share with Todd.

For the record, major transit accidents, like airline crashes,
generate headlines BECAUSE THEY ARE SO RARE. And who bloody knows how
many drivers who die in, or pedestrians in front of, motor vehicles,
are in fact suicides (I also used to live in a Northern California
town where every year, there was a large number of retired people in
rather curious one-car accidents); we certainly know when someone
commits suicide in a subway station, in front of an LRV, or on a
railroad track, now don't we?! Anyone interested in or know anything
about this topic? Mr. Sextrain? The Wikipedia entry is blank and
waiting at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Automobile-
assisted_suicide&action=edit

Very sincerely,

Michael D. Setty
www.publictransit.us

# PhD = Piled Higher and Deeper, as my wise Geography professor never
stopped being delighted to point out. Certainly one proof is
"Transport of Delight" (sic)

On Jul 8, 2005, at 10:51 PM, Jonathan E. D. Richmond wrote:

> We should all roundly condemn the so-called "paper" on "Terrorism,
> Transit and Public Safety" from self-appointed expert Todd Litman.
> I have
> long known that Litman's work must generally be discounted because
> of its
> bias and lack of analytical quality. However, it is one thing to be an
> advocate of something you believe in, but it is quite another to
> cheapen
> the value of life in the wake of a terrible tragedy.
>
> "Terrorism, Transit and Public Safety" is an example of "bait and
> switch."
> If Litman was selling used cars, he would be in trouble with Canada's
> consumer regulations for such a practice. Of course, many people
> will have
> been drawn to this paper expecting some insight into the problems of
> terrorism and steps that might be taken to make public transport more
> secure. Instead, the "paper" is a hastily dashed-out piece of
> advocacy for
> transit.
>
> More than 50 people have been killed and 700 injured in the
> bombings which
> took place in London. It is unacceptable for even one person to be
> to be
> killed or injured for reasons of hatred. We have a Jewish saying
> that "to
> save one person is to save the world," and we all have a shared
> duty to
> stop terrorism from hurting anyone. There is not a point at which
> we have
> done "enough" to make the world safe: We must continue our efforts
> until
> we are sure of success.
>
> And yet, what does Litman do? In his paper (www.vtpi.org/
> terror.pdf), he
> gives us a brief paragraph to state that acts of terror have
> occurred on
> public transport, and then goes straight away to declare that "Yes,
> despite such events, public transit is still an extremely safe form of
> trvel." A chart is shown to demonstrate that public transport fatality
> rates are lower than for car travel. This is doubtless true, yet it
> is not
> only irrelevant to the particular situation of terorrism, but it
> cheapens
> life itself when advocacy of this type takes precedence over an
> analysis
> of how to combat terrorist activity.
>
> The graphs which are used as a tool to indicate cause and effect --
> if you
> have more transit you have less fatalities -- are likely
> misleading. Do
> the cities with more transit use have less fatalities *because*
> people use
> more transit or for other reasons? We simply do not know. It is
> possible,
> for example, that because the cities with the most public transport
> [...]

Michael D. Setty
Carquinez Associates
P.O. Box 6076
Vallejo, CA.  94591-6076