[sustran] Review of BRT experience in Asia

aables at adb.org aables at adb.org
Fri Feb 11 19:50:08 JST 2005

Dear Colleagues,

One of the aims of Partnership for Sustainable UrbanTransport in Asia
(PSUTA) as a pilot project of Clean Air Initiative for Asian Cities
(CAI-Asia) is to broaden our knowledge base with respect to sustainable
transport and promote technologies where applicable. In this regard,
CAI-Asia presented "Bus Rapid Transit: A Win-Win Solution for Mass
Transport in Manila" in a focused group discussion (FGD) at the Land
Transportation Office in Manila that was attended by representatives from
government agencies, research institutes, and advocacy groups
(Metropolitan Manila Development Authority [MMDA], Land Transportation
Office [LTO], Land Transportation Franchising Regulatory Board [LTFRB],
Environmental Management Bureau of Department of Environment and Natural
Resources [DENR-EMB], University of the Philippines National Center for
Transportation Studies [UP-NCTS] and Partnership for Clean Air [PCA]). The
FGD concluded that BRT is a viable option in addressing transport problems
in Manila without sacrificing air quality and costs.

To further lobby BRT and as follow up to the FGD, the group recommended
that a similar presentation be given before the Metro Manila Council (MMC)
meeting that is scheduled next week, 17 Feb 2005 10:30h at the MMDA
office. The MMC meeting gathers city mayors and representatives from the
Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) and Department of
Transportation and Communications (DOTC)  to tackle urban planning and
development. To prepare for this, CAI-Asia is gathering information to
come up with a review on bus rapid transit (BRT) experience in Asia.

We would greatly appreciate if you could give us information on BRT
developments in Asia, successful or otherwise, or give us contact
information of those who do, preferably by 15 Feb 2004 (Tuesday). We are interested in hearing which cities are implementing BRT schemes
or which cities are planning to do so.  It would be good to know how
comprehensive the schemes are, whether there is documentation available
and who are the contact persons.

As video clips (preferably in English) would make a stronger impression to
the audience, kindly courier them to us or direct us to webpages where
these are available.

We look forward to your favorable response. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Cornie Huizenga
Head of Secretariat
Clean Air Initiative for Asian Cities (CAI-Asia)
Asian Development Bank
Phone    ++ 632 632 5047
Fax      ++ 632 636 2198
chuizenga at adb.org