[sustran] Info on Free Public Transport or Transit

Todd Alexander Litman litman at vtpi.org
Tue Nov 23 09:50:31 JST 2004

There are some examples of cities that offer free transit services. See the
"Transit Encouragement" (http://www.vtpi.org/tdm/tdm112.htm) and "Carfree
Planning" (http://www.vtpi.org/tdm/tdm6.htm) chapters of our Online TDM
Encyclopedia. For discussion of the effects on transit ridership see the
"Transit Price Elasticities and Cross Elasticities" report
(http://www.vtpi.org/tranelas.pdf). For discussion of factors to consider
when evaluating transit policies see "Evaluating Public Transit Benefits
and Costs" (http://www.vtpi.org/tranben.pdf).

Although I am a great fan of transit, and I believe that transit should be
as affordable and attractive as possible, I am not necessarily a fan of
free transit programs. For one thing, with a given subsidy budget you may
attract more riders by charging a fee and using the money to expand and
improve transit services. In general, discretionary riders (people who have
the option of driving) are more sensitive to service quality than price.

Second, when people get something for free they may not value it. Free
transit may further stigmatize transit service.

Third, this can lead to significant crowding problems. You may gain price
sensitive riders at the expanse of comfort sensitive riders.

Fourth, free transit may become a hangout for homeless people. A transit
vehicle is an expensive place to provide basic shelter.

There are certainly some benefits from free transit, including the
elimination of fare collection and enforcement, and its a financial benefit
to poor people. However, I think that a variety of strategies for
increasing transit ridership should be evaluated taking into account all
benefits and costs. Targeted discounts (such as transit passes for all
students and lower-income residents) may make more sense.

Best wishes,
-Todd Litman

At 09:47 AM 11/23/2004 +1300, roland at actrix.co.nz wrote:
>Hi
>
>Recently a proposal has been floated in New Zealand's major city Auckland
>for a zero fare policy coupled with a massive expansion of the bus
>service.  I am aware of the range of factors besides fares which influence
>use of bus services.
>
>I would be interested in knowing of any examples or evaluations of free
>public transport, as the only specific example I have been able to find is
>in inner-city Perth in Western Austrailia.
>
>Any suggestions or pointers much appreciated
>
>Thanks in advance for any help
>
>Roland Sapsford
>Advisor
>Green Party in the Parliament of Aotearoa New Zealand

Sincerely,
Todd Litman, Director
Victoria Transport Policy Institute
"Efficiency - Equity - Clarity"