[sustran] Traffic in Shanghai

Sujit Patwardhan sujit at vsnl.com
Tue Nov 2 05:35:20 JST 2004

Dear Sustran Friends,
If anyone has information or data on the traffic scene in Shanghai (China),
I will be grateful if you could send it to me (directly to my Email :
<sujit at vsnl.com> if you feel the rest of the list may not be interested in
the subject).
This is because there is a lot of confusion about the real situation in
Shanghai. Many people on a short visit there say the facilities are
wonderful, with scores of flyovers, wide roads and traffic flowing without
congestion, and this is what we need to do in our cities.
We find this hard to believe because we feel such "infrastructure only"
approach is what has brought the public transport situation to such a bad
condition. In most Indian cities, auto vehicles are growing like cancer,
air is full of auto effluents and accident are on the rise, natural and
built environment, including heritage structures are under threat from the
ever growing appetite of roads, parking spaces and vehicles.
We are therefore advocating the more sustainable option - of TDM, improved
public transport and better facilities for the cyclists and pedestrians to
meet the mobility needs of our cities without damaging the environment.
Will welcome your inputs.
Many thanks,
--
Sujit Patwardhan