[sustran] New Mobility Agenda Newsletter for our Sustran friends - Have a look

ecoplan.adsl at wanadoo.fr ecoplan.adsl at wanadoo.fr
Sat May 29 03:31:37 JST 2004

Dear Sustran Friends,

We are forever trying to see what we can do to make the New Mobility/World
Transport program more interesting and useful for our colleagues around the
world, and believe me we always have our especial friends at Sustran in mind
as we labor on this one.  (Joyful work.)  As an example, we have tried to
integrate the exchanges here into the overall program and website, as you
will see if you click on the Discussions link on the menu.

But in the event, I would now like to invite you to have a look at our
latest Newsletter (also the first), which is attached as a html attachment
(but I don't know if that gets through on Sustran.  If not, the best is
simply to go to the website at http://newmobility.org and click the
Newsletter icon.

Finally if none of that works, I have stripped out the html code and
produced the ugly bit of text that follows.  The content is there, but as
McLuhan told us: the medium is the message.

I hope that you will find the Newsletter and our (I think quite wonderful)
site useful and easy to use.

Best,

Eric

PS. And please make sure (if you can stand it) that you vote for Ken and the
London Congestion Charging project for the 2004 World Technology Network
Environment Award.  And I promise you in turn that for the next awards, I
will find our nominees in the Third World. After all, that's where all the
people are. ;-)

==========================
THE NEW MOBILITY AGENDA
World Transport Policy and Practice
New Mobility Agenda Quarterly Newsletter
Volume 1, No. 1. Spring 2004
The Commons, Paris

Thursday, 27th May 2004

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

This won't happen very often I promise you -- but there has been enough
going on in and around New Mobility/World Transport of late that a quick
newsletter seemed like the most efficient way of putting before you the
handful of things that you might wish to keep your eye on, and eventually
make a decision or two about as far as your accessing and use of the New
Mobility Agenda in all of its many useful parts.
You have a 'contents' here, it's a fast read, and off you go. We hope you
find it useful. Feedback? We live for it, and all you have to do is click
below and we'll get your message. And yes, we answer our mail.
Eric Britton

PS. Think about it and vote for Ken. (Even if it hurts a bit. In time you'll
be glad you did.  ;-)

PPS. And if you live in the North West of England and want to do your bit
for sustainability and social justice, check out the platform of John
Whitelegg, founder and editor in chief of World Transport and Professor of
Sustainable Development at York University's Stockholm Institute of the
Environment, who is running for the European Parliament with the Green
Party. (Politics apparently is part of the process.)

Vol. 1. Newsletter contents:
*  2004 WTN Prize nominations
*  Major program overhaul/results
*  Joint Projects/Collaboration
*  Conference/Event Organization
*  Foundations/Agency Support
*  Cycle, recycle, unsubscribe
*  Update/Protect your email

WTN 2004 PRIZE NOMINATIONS: ENVIRONMENT & TECHNOLOGY

"The World Technology Awards have been created to honour those individual
leaders or, at times, co-equal teams from across the globe who most
contribute to the advance of emerging technologies of all sorts for the
benefit of business and society. We especially seek to honour those
innovators who have done work recently which has the greatest likely future
significance and impact over the long-term. The WTN awards are about those
individuals whose work today will, in our opinion, create the greatest
"ripple effects" in the future... in both expected and unexpected ways." "
As you may recall, we have nominated for the 2004 World Technology Network
Prize for Environment and Technology the Mayor of London, Ken Livingston,
for his initiative in introducing in February 2003 the Congestion Charging
Scheme in his transport-challenged city. The reaction to this nomination
have been overwhelmingly positive, with distinguished colleagues around the
world stepping forward to express their support for this nomination, with
votes coming in thus far from Australia, Canada, Colombia, Denmark, Germany,
India, Japan, Malta, New Zealand, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK, USA. . .
and counting. But not all of our respected expert colleagues agree, and
several voices have been vigorous raised in protest (three in all thus far)
stating their objections both to the concept and the way that Livingston has
decided to handle it. Hmm.

So, and as proponents of spirited exchange and debate, we have decided to go
public with these discussions and of this date have opened up a special
"voting station, that you can reach both to express your views and to help
us to understand if indeed this is a step in the right direction. The polls
close on 15 June, at which time we will submit the whole business to the
other judges of the WTN as final support for our nomination in this
complicated world of ours. It will take you but one moment, and all you have
to do is. . .
Click to support (or otherwise) nomination

NEW MOBILITY WEBSITE OVERHAUL NEARING COMPLETION

Early this year we decided to carry out a
major extension and upgrade of our New Mobility/World Transport website so
that it could become a worthy "first-stop shop" on the web for anyone
wishing to make head or tails of the issues of sustainable mobility,
including to find out where the best sources of expertise and counsel for
their specific issues might be found. This process is now well advanced and
we invite you to check out the results, including the growing number of
interactive components and tools that it now presents. Have a look and tell
us what you think. And what you want.             - - > more
      Most active programs in 2004 (Click to visit)

*  The World CarShare Consortium
*  World Car Free Days Network
*  World Transport Policy & Practice
*  Children on the Move

Discussion Groups/Email Options

Please note that there are four main "speeds" for getting email from this
program. Though until now most of us have opted for the first, this may not
be the best choice for you. Thus, when you sign into our interactive @Forum,
you can elect to receive email feedback from the program in any of four
forms, to whit:
1. Individual emails: To receive all individual email messages.
2. Daily digest: To receive all emails for the day in one message.
3. Special notices only: Receive only important announcements from group
moderator.
4. No email: Read the messages at the Web site at leisure.
home page. It takes only a minute and can be done from here. (To leave the
list at any time, all you have to do is send a blank email to
WorldTransport-unsubscribe at yahoogroups.com).
New Mobility World News Alerts

The internet gives us unprecedented opportunities to stay abreast of latest
sustainable mobility developments world wide. This new tool set provides one
click overviews of latest developments in five languages (and counting).
Read it with your morning coffee.                         - - > more

World Inventory of Sustainability Resources

One-click access to continuously updated selection of hundreds of
outstanding sustainability research and action programs in some fifty
countries. Indexed, fully searchable. (Did we miss you or one of your best
references? Let us know so it will be there for all to use.)     - - > more

Top

Joint Projects/Collaboration

Shouldn't we be doing something together to advance the sustainable mobility
agenda in your city, country or region? Our long standing international
credentials and, more than that, our well oiled international expert network
and partners might turn out to be useful to complement and support your own
skill base and capacities. Considerable language skills and good ability to
work creatively and efficiently in cross-cultural situations can also be put
to good advantage.
In the event of outstanding innovative projects we also - as you can see
from the above - are prepared to step in from time to time and see if we can
help in organizing international peer reviews and support groups. Get in
touch and we can talk about it.

Top

Conferences/Event Organization - Program Review

Need a helping hand in organizing your program, conference or event:
bringing in some of the outstanding innovators, activists, thinkers, groups
and resources that we have gotten to know and worked with over the years,
working to advance the sustainability agenda in many parts of the world?
They and we are not only worrying, rethinking the theory and writing about
sustainability, but are out there in the field fighting to make it happen.
It's 2004 and we clearly need to start doing better. Sustainability is one
war that we are not winning. And the only way to achieve this is to work
together. Bring in more new ideas, from different kinds of people and
places, challenge your thinking, learn from others, and let them work with
you to make a difference. Get in touch and let's talk about it.

RESOURCES/FOUNDATIONS/SUPPORT

Since 1988 we have joyfully shouldered the burden of these programs and
public interest internet sites on our own, and one way or another intend to
continue to make sure that we maintain and expand them in the future. They
are terrific things to do since we are in the process continually are
exposed to a very wide range of information and points of view, learn a lot,
and get to know and appreciate many outstanding people and groups. But it
sure would be agreeable if we could find some additional support, technical
and financial, not only for the maintenance of the various programs you can
see here, but also in order to increase their interactivity and usefulness,
a major goal of our long favored cross-border cross-discipline co-learning
process. We have some rather interesting plans for this, but we are going to
need support to move ahead.
Independence of mind: The trick with anything involving The Commons is that
to do their job all these programs must be carried out with complete
independence, continue to be entirely open and free-wheeling, and by their
very nature cannot be subjected to oversight or external control. What you
see here is what you get. ;-)
Any ideas or leads for us? I have to admit we're not very good at this end
of things. But as you know, it's a great cause and the sustainability agenda
needs every willing hand it can mobilize. Come to Paris to talk it over,
pick up the phone or put pen to paper and let us hear from you.

RECYCLING THE NEW MOBILITY NEWSLETTER. (Don't just throw it away; that's not
sustainable!)
*  Feel free to distribute the Newsletter to your network.
*  Forward it to your media contacts
*  To forward to a friend or colleague: click here to give us their address.

*  To unsubscribe from Newsletter: click here.

Update Address Book/Protect your email

Recently we were counseled by one of our colleagues to have a look at an
email verification and address book program called Plaxo, which I personally
am in the process of using in order to clean out and update my/our very
large email address files . It does the job well, it's free, it's rather
handsome, and thus far it is trouble-free. For the record, I found that
fully 20% of my carefully maintained addresses were in fact either changed
or not working. And so it ever goes on the web. (Attention: works with MS
Outlook only.)
The New Mobility AgendaClick here to initiate address book contact...
I invite you to check it out with me as a first trial step, and if you like
it, well that's your call.
Click to know more about Plaxo Connect 2.0
To initiate address book contact:
To unsubscribe from this list

Copyright 2004 (c) by The Commons
The content of this Newsletter is protected. All rights reserved. The use or
reproduction of this text, even partial, is not authorized without written
authorization of The Commons.

Last Updated: Thursday, 27 May 2004 - 07:00 Central European Summer Time