[sustran] Re: [New Mobility/WorldTransport Forum] WBCSD report - general commentary

Michael Yeates michaelm at myoffice.net.au
Tue Jul 20 11:11:15 JST 2004

Dear Eric and all ...

Before going to the Report, it is often useful to start such a discussion
with some fundamentals ie including some attempts to create some (or even a
number of slightly different) semi-agreed definitions or descriptions,
including of the "problems".

While I suggest this with humility and trepidation, it can be said that too
often, it is these "fundamental" concepts or meanings that are uncritically
accepted or (mis)understood because they are not made explicit, if not
better resolved.

So what is "sustainable", "sustainability" and also should "more
sustainable" be accepted but defined ie as incremental or temporal steps
"in the right direction"?

If these are (semi-)agreed, it is necessary to show where are they located
and how do they relate to the Report ... as a starting point.

Some basic "concerns" (coming from the very car dominated "world" of
Brisbane, in Australia and for this discussion, excluding many other
relevant issues, for example, global equity issues), relate to the
following which need to be addressed by any claim to "sustainable"
including the Report. Clearly, they may also provide indicators to measure
achievements of goals over time.

1. Despite tailpipe and energy (eg solar powered vehicles) improvements, we
are still left with huge and totally unresolved questions and in my view
"unsustainable" solutions relating to congestion and parking issues whether
cars, buses, trucks, trains or aircraft related to expectations based on
the movement of huge loads over huge distances.

2. Thus we are also left with the danger, exclusion, barriers etc of high
travel speed in various settings whether urban, suburban, rural or whatever
... and especially by aircraft.

3. There is the carbon problem ... from local and regional ie pollution (C
compounds and CO) right through to national, international and global (eg
"greenhouse") but also the trade in cheap coal and other fuels.

4. Others have mentioned it, but there is also the question of urban
planning where current lifestyles either resist or encourage change from
the status quo ... so extreme care needs to be addressed as to how land use
<> transport "policy" is addressed otherwise we will all be able to find
excuses (rationale) for being "less than sustainable" and primarily to
reduce any incentive to change the current dominant behaviours, policies etc.

5. This leaves (me with) the view that walking (including for people with
mobility disabilities) and various forms of HPVs (human powered vehicles)
are the ONLY modes with any claim to "sustainable mobility" (perhaps plus
the addition of human or sail powered boats and some form of "sustainable
aircraft" ) ...

6. Interestingly, humankind is either "there", or has been there, as most
cultures and cities predate car-dominance ... the urban form of cities can
be reclaimed for people and HPVs at no cost if "car dominance" is removed
or reduced.

So do these "concerns" actually form the basis for a critique/debate of the
issues of "sustainability" ... as once the discussion moves on, then it
seems to be about something else ...eg how to get to "sustainability" or
"moving towards more sustainability", or "becoming more sustainable" ?

Perhaps the question of "sustainable transport" is about whether to depend
on human or solar/wind/water energy and to prioritise human safety, health
and development over all other issues ... or not?

Surely we can accept that using public transport or car-pooling or
car-sharing etc is NOT "sustainable", but rather is a move towards being
"more sustainable" and then only under a whole raft of conditions,
including not putting people using human power at any risk at all.

The use of public transport or car-pooling or car-sharing etc does not
encourage much change in the demand for these "less than sustainable" modes
and/or therefore, may and probably will decrease, rather than increase,
demand for less unsustainable lifestyles and settings ie "car free" urban
areas may need to be "pedestrian priority" to ensure public transport or
car-pooling or car-sharing etc do not provide a reason to continue to not
give pedestrians and cyclists priority.

Thus as this is almost impossible "sustainably", is using public transport
etc, an answer, but perhaps to the wrong question?

A considerable task but one that cannot be postponed if the issues are to
be addressed.

It should be technically possible to create a "car" that cannot harm or
threaten pedestrians and cyclists.

I can guess where this leaves the car industry as we see it in practice and
in its history and tradition.

A return to making simple, "sustainable", practical, disability aids,
bicycles, and other HPVs?

Michael Yeates
Convenor
Public Transport Alliance and Bicycle User Research Group
Brisbane
Australia