[sustran] Re: [New Mobility/WorldTransport Forum - Motorcycle use ofbus la nes]

Sujit Patwardhan sujit at vsnl.com
Tue Dec 21 04:15:21 JST 2004

Dear Friends,
In many cities in India, two wheelers (scooters, motorcycles) make up over
75% of the auto vehicle population and they contribute to over 70% of auto
emissions. Any facility to encourage this class of vehicles or to make its
traffic movement smoother will only therefore lead to even worse traffic
chaos while at the same time increasing its ridership. The goal for cities
like these should in my opinion be to introduce disincentives in the use of
two wheelers and to tempt auto two wheel users to better and more
economical pubic transport (in most cases bus based).
--
Sujit Patwardhan
Pune

At 06:51 PM 12/20/2004, you wrote:

>Just had a meeting with motorcyclists to discuss an experiment we have
>been conducting over the past 2 years re allowing powered two wheelers to
>use bus lanes.
>Together with a control bus lane corridor we have been assessing the
>before and after effects on three routes re:
>Accidents
>Bus journey times
>Traffic speeds
>Other road users
>Cyclists
>Etc.
>
>Any experience with similar experiments or results of wider policy
>implementation you can share?
>

>Season's Greetings
>Dave
>Dave Wetzel; Vice-Chair; Transport for London.
>Windsor House. 42-50 Victoria Street. London. SW1H 0TL. UK
>Tel: 020 7941 4200
>Intl Tel: +44  207 941 4200
>

>Windsor House is close to New Scotland Yard. Buses 11, 24, 148 and 211
>pass the door. (507 passes close by). Nearest Tube: St. James's Park
>Underground station. Nearest mainline stations: Waterloo and Victoria
>(Both a walk or short bus ride).
>
>Public cycle parking available outside Windsor House.
>

>***********************************************************************************

Sustainable Urban Transport
Sujit Patwardhan
Member