[sustran] car free days redux ("In truth a name without a number is merely a fetish")

ecoplan.adsl at wanadoo.fr ecoplan.adsl at wanadoo.fr
Sun Aug 29 23:17:52 JST 2004

Dear Intransigent Friends of Sustainable Development And Social Justice
,

There are a number of "car free days" brewing in cities around the world
in the month ahead, and I would like to draw your attention to a good
'front door' on all activity this which you will find in our sister site
http://WorldCarFreeDay.com at http://WorldCarFreeDay.com
<http://worldcarfreeday.com/> .

The truth is that while a growing number of cities are 'playing' with
this concept (I think the word is just about right), the fact is that in
most of them these are truly non-events. And if the sponsors will all
generally report them as "success stories' (dreadful little expression)
if you talk to the media or many of the people on the street in most of
those places, you will find rather different views. There are of course
a certain number of people who think (b) they're a great idea, and
that's of course wonderful.  There are even, but here the number is far
smaller, (b) those who have a deeper understanding of what it is all
about, and are ready to see how they can help in edging their city and
the various groups involved toward longer term and more permanent
remedial actions to start to get things moving in the right direction
(call it the "New Mobility Agenda" for wont of a better phrase).  But
when you talk to the people in that place far more common reactions
include: (c) I never knew it was taking place, or (d) It may have but so
what? or (e) Yeah and it was a real pain and finally (f) This kind of
unprofessional wildness is undermining the economy and the
transportation system of our city.

That's the harsh reality of the Car/Free Day movement in 2004, but all
is not lost.  As you will see if you travel over to World Car/Free Days
there is in fact a learning process going on in at least some places,
and I think it is good for us to have a mature vision of what this is
and what we may be able to do with it as part of the massive remedial
and rethinking process that needs to be engaged (a process which,
incidentally, way outstrips the thinking or intentions of most of the
more official sponsors to such events). And indeed, all is not lost
because - and let's not forget this, administrations may be pretty dumb
but there are a lot of smart and responsible people out there in city
after city - some of this learning is talking hold here and there, and
in these places you can see a very interesting evolution of the thinking
and the projects and their follow-up.

So, if I may invite you all to have a look and if it suits you to share
with us your thoughts and perspective on this.  Real learning cannot as
we continue to see in situation after situation take place if the only
sources of reaction and views are those from people working inside the
box in question.  Which is definitely not your case.  So it will be very
very useful to hear from you on this.

And should you know of a Car/Free Day or two, you will see there is even
a handy gizmo for reporting to the group about it.  That too will be
useful.

Finally, I would draw your attention again to what is going on later
this month in Toronto with their New Mobility Week and action program
for the year ahead. You will find the latest on that if you click into
the Toronto Link on the New Mobility Agenda at http://newmobility.org.

Thanks if your time and taste permits you to have a look at this,

Eric Britton

PS. In closing let me share with you a phrase otherwise hidden in a note
I received in the last days from (Dr.) Rana Roy whom many of you know.
Rana wrote: "In truth a name without a number is merely a fetish".  And
I can think of few ways to better describe what we should be doing now
to advance the sustainability agenda in cities. Short term programs with
real visible measurable targets put our there in the public view for all
to see and work toward. No more mumbling. No more hiding. No more
'success stories'. Only success or failure.  Which is the only way we
can progress.