[sustran] Re: Information on 'Bike Taxi'

Viet Hung Khuat kviethung at gmx.de
Wed Aug 25 23:21:26 JST 2004

Dear Craig,
1. I did also the full cost comparision between MC and Bus in teh Hanoi and
HCM City Bus project. I understand that the Bus has some advatanges on this
evaluation. However, We have to think on a real conditions of the Hanoi or
Bangkok environment. Then I agree with you that the decision makers in VN
and Thailand are lack of the vision as the Singaporean ones.
So, what should we do?
> Thanks Hung,
>
> Just a few clarifications.
>
> 1. Regarding the fuel consumption: I am my self a motorcyclist, I have a
> >normal Japanese moped (HONDA DREAM II 100 cc). Every week I have to pay
> >about VND 12.000 (80 US Cent) for gasoline (about 2 litter), the total
> trip
> >length is aboout 120-150 km/week. So, I guest that you will have your own
> >calculation with your car. So, what is cheaper?. In addition, I need only
> >1m2 for parking this MC.
>
> I was thinking of all modes of transport (walking, cycling, public bus,
> minibus, car, taxi, railway, busway, etc) and not just comparing private
> motorbikes and private cars, and all costs direct (vehicle purchase costs,
> vehicle operating costs, costs of infrastructure) and indirect costs
> (accidents, air and noise pollution, severance effects of infrastructure,
> costs of using non-renewable resources etc). I was also thinking about the
> costs etc of the entire transport system and not just individual vehicles.
> (e.g. similar to the difference between fuel-efficient cities and fuel
> efficient cars, see Newman and Kenworthy, 1989).
>
> >4. Again, I would like to bring the social attitude to add into your
> >discussion. In Singapore, the current thinking of people is different
> from
> >Thai or Vietnam. As you may recorgnized that after 40 years of many
> >Congestion Reducing Efforts, the pedestrian zone is just adopted in
> >Singapore. So, I guest that the mind of people in Singapore in 1970 or
> 1980
>
> Yes, Singapore has been on a very different path in its urban transport
> development since the early 1970s. But I see no evidence that
> decision-makers in Bangkok or Hanoi are taking similar actions and
> decisions to those made in Singapore 30 years ago, so I doubt that it is
> just a case of all cities following the same path (see Paul Barter's 1999
> PhD thesis on this topic).
>
> >is similar to Thai and Vietnamese today. I am agree that there are some
> ones
> >in Thailand or Vietnam may have better attitude toward NMV, but they are
> few
> >and have no power. On the other hand, the son of Primeminister Phan Van
> Khai
> >started his car business in 2003. So, what should we do?
>
> As well-connected and educated planners, activists, students and teachers
> we should in our daily practice point out these conflicts of interest of
> those in power and seek to address the interests of those with less power!
> We should help people in our communities envision what they want for the
> future and the actions that we can take together to make it a reality.
>
> Regards,
>
> Craig Townsend

Khuat Viet Hung, M.Eng
(C/o: Prof. Manfred Boltze)
Institut fuer Verkehr, TU Darmstadt
Petersenstrasse 30, 64287 Darmstadt, Deutschland
Tel. : + 49-6151-16 2026
Fax:  + 49-6151-16 2045

NEU: Bis zu 10 GB Speicher für e-mails & Dateien!
1 GB bereits bei GMX FreeMail http://www.gmx.net/de/go/mail