[sustran] Re: Information on 'Bike Taxi'

Viet Hung Khuat kviethung at gmx.de
Wed Aug 25 15:41:53 JST 2004

Good morning of a Vietnamese from Germany,
I am very happy when I can joint this discussion and many people are
discussing about the topic of my research. I promise that next year I will
bring to you some more detail information.
Thanks for Craig's comments, but I would like to make some explainations on
that as follows:
1. Regarding the fuel consumption: I am my self a motorcyclist, I have a
normal Japanese moped (HONDA DREAM II 100 cc). Every week I have to pay
about VND 12.000 (80 US Cent) for gasoline (about 2 litter), the total trip
length is aboout 120-150 km/week. So, I guest that you will have your own
calculation with your car. So, what is cheaper?. In addition, I need only
1m2 for parking this MC.
2. If you go to Vietnam, you will see many beutiful lady riding on
motorcycle. Most of parents are bringing their child to school with
motorcycle. For multipurpose, you may know that the Vietnamese got win from
the first Vietnam War (With French) by the bicycle logistics system. So, I
may happy to send you some pictures about the freight motorcycle if you
want.
3. Your third discussion may be right with mentioning about the growth of
middle class in such country like Thailand or Vietnam. I would like to add
more here that in Vietnam or Thailand there is thinking among people and
even political that "Walkers are poor",  so, we should find other way to do
with NMV.
4. Again, I would like to bring the social attitude to add into your
discussion. In Singapore, the current thinking of people is different from
Thai or Vietnam. As you may recorgnized that after 40 years of many
Congestion Reducing Efforts, the pedestrian zone is just adopted in
Singapore. So, I guest that the mind of people in Singapore in 1970 or 1980
is similar to Thai and Vietnamese today. I am agree that there are some ones
in Thailand or Vietnam may have better attitude toward NMV, but they are few
and have no power. On the other hand, the son of Primeminister Phan Van Khai
started his car business in 2003. So, what should we do?
Best regards,
HUNG
> I would like to add a few points to this great discussion:
>
> 1. This discussion is being carried out based on observations rather than
> systematic or empirical research, thus it is hard to assess any claim such
> as motorcycles contribute more/less than other modes to the use of energy,
> fatalities, etc, in a given city in comparison with other cities or within
> a city. If anyone knows of such research, references would help the
> discussion. Some data collected on Asian cities indicate that petrol use
> in
> Bangkok is higher per capita than in any other city surveyed in Asia
> (including Tokyo, Singapore, Hong Kong), so it would be hard to argue that
> the proliferation of motorcycles has contributed to energy efficiency of
> the transport system as a whole (although perhaps in outer suburban areas
> they may be better than buses).
>
> 2. Motorcycles are a mode catering to individual travel and are hence less
> useful than some other modes to activities involving travel by multiple
> individuals and individuals carrying things. In some cities this could
> translate into a bias against women who are often responsible for looking
> after children and carrying goods (while men may be doing more individual
> commuting to and from the workplace). Empirical data on sex and motorcycle
> use would help.
>
> 3. It is hard to know whether Thailand's particular class system is a
> cause
> or a consequence of transport conditions. (i.e. are non-motorized
> transport
> conditions poor because the users of that infrastructure are people with
> low social status or are they forced to use that infrastructure because
> they have low social status?) One argument for the proposition that
> "non-motorized transport conditions are poor because the users of that
> infrastructure are people with low social status" is that high status
> people in Bangkok do walk, but it is in air conditioned, privatized spaces
> such as shopping malls. (This activity is not picked up in the travel
> survey data.) Also, a large and growing segment of the upper middle class
> and wealthy social strata in Bangkok now pay to walk on treadmills! (See
> the second floor health club at the intersection of Soi Convent and Silom
> Road!)
>
> 4. While the heat and humidity certainly make walking outside in Bangkok
> uncomfortable and tiring, I don't believe they are sufficient to explain
> the remarkably low levels of walking recorded in travel surveys. In other
> cities such as Singapore where it is a little hotter and more humid people
> (both foreign visitors and locals) walk a lot more than in Bangkok
> (although probably far less than they would if sidewalk conditions and
> distances were the same but the temperature was significantly cooler). A
> danger in the argument given by many people in Thailand that they are
> [...]

Supergünstige DSL-Tarife + WLAN-Router für 0,- EUR*
Jetzt zu GMX wechseln und sparen http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl