[sustran] We have a major problem here, and you can help to set it right.

ecoplan.adsl at wanadoo.fr ecoplan.adsl at wanadoo.fr
Thu Aug 12 01:17:43 JST 2004

Dear Friends,

What can I say but splendid!  We are clearly on the right track here.
And while thus far I have been receiving responses and nominations by
private mail (which normally we do prefer) I would say in this case
since the issues are so very important – this after all is very much
what one might reasonably call a ‘shaping initiative’ – I am going to
ask you to report back to the group with your nominations, at least in
cases where you have something by way of a wake-up call to draw to all
our attention.  Here are a handful of the comments that we have received
in the first 24 hours on this that fall into this category:

*	“I came from a developing country and my background is sociology
and I am still in the process of learning the technical field of
transportation. I am right now, a transport planning PhD student. And
yes, all my professors are male. I also have been in some transport
conferences and  unfortunately, the majority of those who attended are
also male. I hope you can encourage  more women to join and participate.
”

*	“I just saw your call and I would like to join in and
participate in discussions and development of a less male and
increasingly sustainable transport paradigm. I am researcher in Peace
and Development Research and mostly focusing on issues of mobility and
cities. ”

*	“I would also add that style and tone of discussions may also
have something to do with it. Guys tend to seek victory in their
participation, whether through "robust argument", inflicting crushing
defeat on the opposition, or carefully structured arguments designed to
show futility of alternative viewpoints. Not everyone considers this to
be 'discussion', and some will avoid participation in what they perceive
to be a gladiatorial pit.”

*	“In Bogotá we have done research on why the people who are part
of a transport organization are mainly men, and found really nice
things, especially when we saw the specific cases in which women were
managers or drivers of bus companies. Thus, the same reflection applied
to this group might prove more interesting. Why is it that women don't
participate in these things? Does someone have any research on women's
relationship with the topic of transport? Is it the same gender-biased
question as is "Why don't men like cutting flowers and smelling them?"
I'm willing to do some research on the first topic (being a
psychologist), want to join me?”

*	“Well, I'm female (and, incidentally, a wheelchair user so that
makes me even more strange in the transport world).  I don't post much
at the moment, since I'm up to my neck in work (I'm a consultant - what
does that say about the transport world not employing females or
disabled people) and research for my doctorate on valuation frameworks
for inclusive transport, for which I hope to pick some of your brains in
due course.....  But I do read your words of wisdom avidly and I shall
chip in when I'm moved to say something worthwhile (actually, research
indicates that women take up less air time than men in meetings - I
don't know if that applies to email discussion groups).  And I'll find a
woman colleague or two to join us, hopefully.

*	“I find that despite the fact that the environment community is
overwhelmingly female, the transport community is overwhelmingly male.
Thus, it seems that for sustainable transport to happen, there must be a
marriage of the two! ”

*	“Here are some candidates I would recommend. But let me warn
you, they are all tough cookies and may offer more than “soft” options
that we may to expect from women, but I’m sure they will add strength to
the forum – if they choose to actively participate in the discussions.”

“Tough cookies”. Not bad, eh?  And no doubt we all need more of this
kind of leadership and support.

So, I hope that this will encourage those of you who have not yet picked
up your pens and made your nominations and suggestions to do exactly
this.  We will all be better for it.

Eric Britton

The Commons: Increasing the uncomfort zone for hesitant administrators
and politicians; pioneering new concepts for business, entrepreneurs,
activists, community groups, and local government; and through our joint
efforts, energy and personal choices, placing them and ourselves firmly
on the path to a more sustainable and more just society.