[sustran] Darryl D'Monte Article

Sujit Patwardhan sujit at vsnl.com
Wed Sep 4 02:16:59 JST 2002

Dear All,
Here is an article worth reading.
with good wishes,
--
Sujit

Do Indians really care about the environment?

TIMES OF INDIA,  SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 1, 2002 9:36:07 PM

The urban elite are careless about natural resources
Darryl D'Monte, President, International Federation of Environmental
Journalists

I would say that most well-to-do Indians are not sensitive to environmental
concerns. We are not very clear what environment consists of and confuse it
with preserving natural sites and animals.

We would never support the decimation of wildlife or spoiling of scenic
sites. However, environment is a larger issue, which concerns the use of
natural resources. By that token, we fare quite badly.
The urban elite, in particular, sees nothing wrong in relying increasingly
on motorised forms of transport and building flyovers and highways.

In Mumbai, citizens believe that the 50-odd flyovers have actually reduced
pollution because traffic moves smoothly.

The counter argument, that over much of the industrial world the automobile
is being seen as the problem rather than the solution, falls on deaf ears.
While each car emits less pollution if it moves smoothly, the
ever-increasing number of vehicles is bound to make the load far bigger.

This means public resources are being diverted to meet the needs of a tiny
minority. In Mumbai, only nine per cent of the 12 million people use cars
and two-wheelers but some Rs 10,000 crore will be spent over the next few
years on a slew of road projects.

Car-owners don't pay tolls, so the funds for these schemes are borne by the
entire community.
The poor, who don't move about in air-conditioned vehicles, also bear the
brunt of this pollution.
In any case, the average flow of traffic is our cities is declining because
of sheer congestion. The elite sees no need for public transport because it
avoids using it.

Many of us hold the poor responsible for damaging the environment  whether
it the landless who pick up headloads of firewood from forests or the
homeless who squat in our cities.

A moment's reflection should be sufficient to convince us that the survival
needs of these people pale into insignificance when compared to the
destruction of natural resources by the state and industry. Paper, pulp and
related industries consume far greater amounts of wood in the name of
development.

Half a century ago, even the Communist party in power in Kerala gave the
Gwalior Rayon near Calicut access to bamboo at throwaway prices and water
free of charge, under the mistaken notion that this would benefit Malabar.
Only the polluted river and atmosphere made people realise they were being
exploited in the name of industrial growth. Till today, the poor pay more
for bamboo and other timber than industries do.

All over the country, industries pride themselves on their commitment to
preserving the environment, but this is generally restricted to greening a
few areas in and around their plants.

In our cities too, slum dwellers are seen to destroy the environment. In
Mumbai, they actually occupy some nine per cent of the total area but
officially constitute 55 per cent of the population, which would make them
the majority. They contribute more to the economy in terms of labour than
the well-to-do, since more people in each family work.

--
Sujit Patwardhan
sujit at vsnl.com