[sustran] Re: Light Rail Energy Consumption

Todd Alexander Litman litman at vtpi.org
Tue Oct 29 22:47:35 JST 2002

There is a nice new report that has some information on transit vehicle
emissions:

ECONorthwest and PBQD, Estimating the Benefits and Costs of Public Transit
Projects, TCRP Report 78,
(http://gulliver.trb.org/publications/tcrp/tcrp78/index.htm), TRB
(www.trb.org), 2002.

At 04:26 PM 10/29/2002 +1030, you wrote:
>Dear Sustraners-
>
>Does anyone have information on the energy consumption of light rail?
>
>I need energy consumption in Kwh or MJ per vehicle kilometre (often referred
>to as the energy intensity).  I have energy consumption per passenger
>kilometre for a few Australian networks eg. Adelaide's tram = 1.2 MJ per
>passenger km (full fuel cycle).  However, figures based on passenger
>kilometres assume certain passenger loadings, which can vary widely between
>systems and dramatically alter the energy efficiency compared with other
>modes.
>
>Also, any information on greenhouse gas emissions per vehicle kiloemtre
>would be welcome (although this varies with the fuel mix used in generated
>the electricity used by each particular system).
>
>Regards,
>
>Alan Perkins
>
>Dr Alan Perkins
>Senior Transport Policy Analyst
>Transport Policy Group
>Transport SA
>Room 702
>PO Box 1
>Walkerville
>South Australia
>5081
>ph +61 8 8343 2436
>fax +61 8 8343 2939
>alan.perkins at transport.sa.gov.au
>http://www.transport.sa.gov.au
>Disclaimer: The information contained in this e-mail message may be
>confidential, and may also be the subject of privilege or public interest
>immunity. This e-mail and any attached files should be scanned to detect
>viruses and no liability for loss or damage resulting from the use of any
>attached files is accepted. If you are not the intended recipient, any use,
>disclosure or reproduction of this document is unauthorised. If you have
>received this e-mail in error please telephone +61 8 8343 2222.

Sincerely,
Todd Litman, Director
Victoria Transport Policy Institute
"Efficiency - Equity - Clarity"