[sustran] Re: Bus and rail (fwd)

Alan P Howes howes at emirates.net.ae
Sat Mar 2 02:02:46 JST 2002

Do I hear a conspiracy theorist?

I would be interested to hear of these places where Craig considers
that busways are a trojan horse for more road provision. From all I
understand, this is not the case in Europe, or in North or South
America, and would not be here in Dubai either - assuming we ever got
any busway built.

His points about costs of capital _may_ be fair, and I certainly agree
that capital costs should be compared on a like-for-like basis, wrt
elevated, at-grade etc.

I did not really mean that the busway infrastructure can be picked up
and used elsewhere - but the buses certainly can, and they can easily
use part of the existing busway plus street running where appropriate.
The ability to operate off the busway onto the ordinary street system
is a big bus way advantage.

On Thu, 28 Feb 2002 10:06:31 +0800, Craig Townsend
<townsend at central.murdoch.edu.au> wrote to
sustran-discuss at jca.ax.apc.org:

--
Alan Howes, Dubai, UAE (Otherwise Perthshire, Scotland)
alaninthegulf at yahoo.co.uk
Professional website   (Needs Updating!):
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/alanhowes/