[sustran] Re: CAR BUSTERS BULLETIN #30

kisan mehta kisansbc at vsnl.com
Fri Jan 4 16:04:43 JST 2002

Dear Ian,

We would be most happy to meet you as well as
help you in every way to understand the ground
conditions.  We like to take funding agency
officials or researchers on a walking tour in addition
to talking.  Realities are different from what one
reads in documents and drawings.  We have not
studied your attached draft yet.

We are, in response to your 2 Jan email we are
separately sending our paper in the UN Workshop.

World Bank is being requested by our authorities
to revive the dropped loan proposal for the Mumbai
Urban Transport Project (MUTP), being discussed
for 10 years now.  We have tried to present the
exact position to the Bank officials visiting from
time to time yet official submissions came out to
be so damaging to the people. We have addressed
a letter to the Bank President telling (as a last ditch
effort) as to how the loan would support motorisation
and affect air quality. It is a longish presentation
(as he needs to be fully informed). We can forward
to you if you do not get bored.

The MUTP, if at all implemented, would seal the
Mumbai's future say for next fifteen years during
it would become the world's second largest
megalopolis. No resource would be left to mitigate
hardship that is bound to flow from the MUTP.
You will agree that it is essential to show (however
unsavoury that may be) correct position. Citizens
do not expect Project Managers (civil servants) to
put real ground conditions and do not want to lose
the opportunity to improve government liquidity
Funding agencies are anxious to extend loans
as any banker would do. The Bank proudly
decIared that India has outstripped China as the
Bank's largest borrower. India's external debt recently
exceeded $ 100 billion and this literally means that
every Indian however hungry or illclad he may be
carries a debt burden of $ 100, amount higher than
the annual income of about 40% of Indians.
Best wishes.

Kisan Mehta and Priya Salvi