[sustran] RE: [Transit-Prof] Re: TDM in Perth, WA - 14% car-driver trip red uction

Alan Patrick Howes APHOWES at dm.gov.ae
Wed Feb 20 13:00:03 JST 2002

Hi Steve -

That's a pleasant surprise, I'm not sure I knew there was a transit-prof
member in Australia. I have not yet been there myself, but have contacts and
keep my eye on what goes on, and it seems to me that Australia (some states
at least) has some useful experience to share on achieving some of the
benefits of UK-style transport deregulation without "throwing the baby out
with the bathwater". So please keep posting - though from your job title I
suppose you may well not be a transit man.

Yes, it is Travelsmart. I haven't fully read the article properly myself yet
(hopefully this [long] weekend - it's Eid Al Adha, the feast of sacrifice -
connected with Hajj). And I have only had a quick look at the Travelsmart
website. So I don't know how much the article has to say that is new - seems
IIRC to be mainly based on an interview with a German guy named Borg from
the consultants who developed the individualised marketing technique.

I will get the item scanned and send it off in the next few days - a lot of
sustran-ers want to see it.

(The quoted 14% decrease in car-driver trips must be from a pretty high
base, surely? But I'm not yet clear how large a part of Perth they are
talking about.)

--
Alan P Howes, Special Transport Advisor,
     Dubai Municipality Public Transport Department
aphowes at dm.gov.ae
Tel:    +971 4 286 1616 ext 214