[sustran] Re: fwd: update from Jakarta by Urban Poor Consortium - Konsorsium Kemiskinan Kota

Sujit Patwardhan sujit at vsnl.com
Wed Sep 12 14:38:29 JST 2001

Dear Wendell,
Attitude of the typical middle class urban Indian would be somewhat along
these lines.
They feel "We have lacked basic infrastructure of roads, communication
networks and mobility for years. Roads and highways need to be better and
wider to enable faster movement of traffic" (in their minds only the
motorised vehicles fit this definition).
Slow moving vehicles are seen not only as obstructions but also as symbols
of backwardness. So rickshaws, cycles and other "non-modern" and
"non-high-tech" modes are really an eyesore for this class.
They would say "people who use these modes should switch to buses or
subways" and perhaps add "why should these outdated pre-historic vehicles
be allowed on major roads? They (rickshaws) slow the traffic, are a threat
to safe driving and hence should use the narrower, less important roads and
keep out of our way". Roadside trees are also seen as obstruction and cause
of road accidents.  They have been butchered on most roads in Mumbai, Pune,
Nagpur and other growing cities as a result of the never-ending
road-widening drive, which by the way is seen as panacea for solving all
traffic congestions / pollution problems.
The media by and large re-enforces this view by trumpeting every
road-widening / flyover proposal with articles on how the traffic
congestion will disappear when the sickly roads are transformed into
impressive four-lane highways fit for the fast auto vehicles, preferably
fortified by:- road dividers to keep out the pedestrians (for them the
steep climb up and down the over -bridge). The exercise is often
accompanied by the removal of "excessive" bus stops on newly widened roads
(they interrupt speedy movement of autos)... this is not exaggeration but
actually happening in Pune....pavements are also removed or narrowed with
the result that the pedestrians have to fight for space with telephone
junction boxes, roadside vendors, garbage containers and other stationary
or moving objects that are attracted to the additional unused space offered
by the newly widened road. Some roads widened far in excess of the needs of
traffic also encourage car owners to exceed the speed limit and to overtake
other vehicles including two wheelers from the left (in India we are
supposed to drive on the left side of the road and overtake a vehicle from
the right).
Only a small section of population understands that infrastructure like
roads and flyovers need to be expanded judiciously as more/wider roads
encourage even more traffic, and it is wiser to manage traffic demand than
to convert more and more open spaces into red-carpets for auto vehicles. If
you manage traffic demand, road-widening can be avoided and mixed modes
encouraged, optimising the road space. But we are still wearing the old hat
and blindly imitating the west, although in many parts of Europe and the US
these policies are increasingly coming under attack from people opposed to
the domination of their cities by auto-vehicles.
Sorry if this has become trifle too long.
Regards
--
Sujit

At 09:40 AM 9/10/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Paul...
>
>Re the efforts to rid Jakarta and Delhi of becaks and rickshaws, is it fair
>to view this as something of an elitist agenda to rid the communities of
>something seen as unsightly? What are the people who use these systems
>supposed to do? Walk? Eventually buy cars? Appears to be a real dilemma and
>would be interested in perspectives on this.
>
>Best regards,
>Wendell Cox
>

>DEMOGRAPHIA & THE PUBLIC PURPOSE (Wendell Cox Consultancy)
>http://www.demographia.com (Demographics & Land Use)
>http://www.publicpurpose.com (Public Policy & Transport))
>Telephone: +1.618.632.8507 - Facsimile: +1.810.821.8134
>PO Box 841 - Belleville, IL 62222 USA

Sujit Patwardhan.
PARISAR,
Yamuna, ICS Colony, Ganeshkhind Road, Pune 411 007
Tel: 5537955
Email: sujit at vsnl.com