[sustran] Re: yet more on Denver thread

BruunB at aol.com BruunB at aol.com
Wed Oct 31 04:24:02 JST 2001

Matthias,

Your points are well taken. I may be given to overstatement. However, in my
defense, I would like to refine my comments a little bit.

Yes, I am totally in favor of far more projects like the Curitiba bus
project. But I note that Curitiba is one of the most progressive cities in
the world. Most will never give up their streets to public transport to the
degree Curitiba has, since it is the decision makers who get to drive around
in their cars. How long does the fight go on before one concedes defeat and
start to build something that is substantially grade separated? I also note
that Curitiba is looking to convert a line or two to rail as the limits of
the busway approach are being reached.

I also made an unstated assumption that it is unacceptable in the long run to
doom the poor to long rides at slow speeds, wasting large parts of their day
traveling back and forth to work. Once one gets enough control of the streets
to favor public transport, it just makes more sense to go to larger vehicles
like Curitiba buses or LRT rather than have a long stream of jitneys. In my
opinion, the jitneys would then be better re-oriented to community
circulation and connecting to a trunk line. Further, as the distances get
longer and longer, at some point grade separation becomes necessary in order
to get high enough speed to keep travel times reasonable. This was my
thinking at the time I wrote my statement.

Eric Bruun