[sustran] Re: [sustran] More on Ridership predictions, urban rail transit

Wendell Cox wcox at publicpurpose.com
Mon Oct 29 08:44:08 JST 2001

Dear Kisan..

Thank you for your well considered note and the informative details.

Part of the problem, from a western perspective, is that many of our
planners and politicians do not understand the fundamental differences
between Mumbai, Hong Kong or even Tokyo and Portland or Phoenix. Radically
different places. While I have not yet visited Mumbai, I suspect that it
could not survive without its railways and that alternative modes simply
could not do the job, physically or for the money. Those kinds of reasons
caused me to editorialize in the second largest Chinese daily newspaper in
Hong Kong for the government's aggressive plans for expanding the rail
system. I am not anti-rail. I am for what makes sense and opposed to waste.
In some cases rail makes sense, and in others it does not. It is safe to say
that where it does not exist in the former colonies it largely makes no
sense (that is, it is not the optimal solution) and was a mistake to build
in the first place. This exempts special places like Toronto, New York, and
Chicago (and perhaps more, but surely not St. Louis, Portland or God forbid,
San Jose).

Mumbai is of similar or even greater density than Hong Kong. It may be the
world's most dense urban area. Its center can be reached over land from only
one direction. This means that the corridors leading to the island city may
face volume challenges that dwarf that of Manhattan. The city's population
density is nearing 50k per square mile, even with a big national park in the
middle. Urbanized area density may approach 80k from what I can discern.
Compare this to Portland at 3000 or our champion, Los Angeles at 5800 or the
Canadian champion, Montreal at under 9000. These are entirely different
organisms, so you should just ignore us when we argue about what to do in
the affluent former colonies. It is just a different world.

As I indicated in my last post, the challenge in the dense developing world
cities is to make transit so attractive that people will not want cars as
their income goes up. Maybe Bogota is on to something in this regard.
Because if such a system is not provided --- a system that provides better
mobility (or at least competitive) than can be provided by car for virtually
every trip too far to walk, then people are going to buy cars as soon as
they can afford them. My concern is that all sorts of western "used car
salesmen" are riding circuit through the developing world selling systems
that will make their companies a lot of money and ensure that people forsake
walking and transit for the car as soon as they have the chance. It is time
we recognized that the resources available for transport are limited, and
that if we are serious we will do the most cost effective things, or pay the
price, as it were.

Best regards,
Wendell Cox

DEMOGRAPHIA & THE PUBLIC PURPOSE (Wendell Cox Consultancy)
http://www.demographia.com (Demographics & Land Use)
http://www.publicpurpose.com (Public Policy & Transport))
Telephone: +1.618.632.8507 - Facsimile: +1.810.821.8134
PO Box 841 - Belleville, IL 62222 USA