[sustran] Re: Ridership predictions, urban rail transit

John Ernst johnernst at asia.com
Tue Oct 23 17:12:18 JST 2001

An interesting side-light comparing the Bangkok and Denver rail transit
systems is that the Bangkok system is considered a failure for moving only
220,000 passengers per day while the Denver system is a resounding success
moving 25,000 passengers per day.

Okay, there's more differences than similarities -- urban size, density,
construction cost, routing, though roughly similar system length at present.

What is interesting is the public perception.  Denver RTD predicted 20,000
riders, so at 25,000 could announce success -- though surely they are
losing money at that level (anyone know?).  Bangkok predicted 400,000 plus
because they needed to show they could pay for the all elevated system and
make a profit.  So, 220,000 riders using a well-run system with a 3-minute
headway looks like a failure because it's not paying for itself.
(Fortunately, er unfortunately, Bangkok doesn't consider how much private
cars aren't paying for themselves.)

John