[sustran] Re: Fw: [sustran] Re: Ridership predictions, urban rail transit

Wendell Cox wcox at publicpurpose.com
Mon Oct 22 21:53:09 JST 2001

Interesting information. Mumbai is on my list for a visit, I hope within the
next year.

Data seems to indicate the possibility that Mumbai is the world's most
densely populated urbanized area, perhaps even higher than Hong Kong. My
understanding is that the 2001 census data shows a slight increase in the
island city population, though there has been incredible growth in the
balance of the city. Have not been able to determine the extent of urbanized
area growth outside the city, but would not be surprised if it were
substantial. I think there are predictions to the effect that Mumbai could
emerge as the world's largest urban area in a couple of decades. Of course,
there was a time that the same was said about Mexico City and Sao Paulo, and
both have settled into much slower growth patterns.

But the Mumbai public transport and rail situtation is a good example of how
different things are between the world's urbanized areas. Too often our
western colleagues fail to recognize that there is a difference between
Mumbai and say, Portland or Phoenix. Indeed, the Mumbai municipality's 12
million people are huddled in an area only 1.5 times the size of Portland,
with its 500.000 residents. If one took out the  national park that occupies
a large part of the area annexed in the late 1950s, the land area is
probably below that of Portland.

The point... What makes sense in Mumbai is likely to be rather different
than in places that look much different.

DEMOGRAPHIA & THE PUBLIC PURPOSE (Wendell Cox Consultancy)
http://www.demographia.com (Demographics & Land Use)
http://www.publicpurpose.com (Public Policy & Transport))
Telephone: +1.618.632.8507 - Facsimile: +1.810.821.8134
PO Box 841 - Belleville, IL 62222 USA