[sustran] Re: Ridership predictions, urban rail transit

Chris Zegras czegras at MIT.EDU
Fri Oct 19 04:36:29 JST 2001

For the US, the most thorough original treatment of this is:
Pickrell, Don.  1989.  Urban Rail Transit Projects: Forecast versus Actual
Ridership and Costs.  Wash, DC: Urban Mass Transportation Administration
(UMTA).

I don't know how easy it will be to find (UMTA is now FTA).

Here's a useful, on-line reference:

http://confusion.mit.edu/~richmond/professional/wholesys.pdf.

Kain also touches on the subject in "The Urban Transportation Problem" in
Essays in Transportation Economics and Poicy. Brookings. 1999.

You might also find some useful info here:
http://www.publicpurpose.com/pp-infra.htm

cheers,

chris z.

At 02:00 AM 10/19/2001 +0900, you wrote:
>Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 18:38:18 +0400
>From: Alan P Howes <howes at emirates.net.ae>
>Subject: [sustran]
>
>Hi everyone -=20
>
>Can anyone point me to a reference on predicted vs. actual ridership
>for new urban rail transit systems? (or better still qute some
>examples). I saw something in a mag. recently saying that quite a few
>in the US recently have failed to meet expectations - and I know
>Bangkok has been accused of the same.
>
>Cheers, Alan

Christopher Zegras
Research Associate
MIT * Laboratory for Energy & the Environment * Room E40-468
1 Amherst Street * Cambridge, MA 02139
Tel: 617 258 6084 * Fax: 617 253 8013