[sustran] Re: [[sustran] Ridership predictions, urban rail transit]

Lloyd Wright lfwright at usa.net
Fri Oct 19 02:10:37 JST 2001

Dear Alan,

I think the one of the definitive articles on the long-history of
over-estimating rail passenger demand is "A Desire Name Streetcar: Fantasy and
Fact in Rail Transit Planning" by Don Pickrell of the Volpe Center.  The
article appears in Spring 1992 edition of the Journal of the American Planning
Association.

Lloyd Wright

Alan P Howes <howes at emirates.net.ae> wrote:
Hi everyone -

Can anyone point me to a reference on predicted vs. actual ridership
for new urban rail transit systems? (or better still qute some
examples). I saw something in a mag. recently saying that quite a few
in the US recently have failed to meet expectations - and I know
Bangkok has been accused of the same.

Cheers, Alan
--
Alan & Jacqui Howes, Dubai, UAE (Otherwise Perthshire, Scotland)
alaninthegulf at yahoo.co.uk (Alan)        cybermog57 at yahoo.co.uk (Jacqui)