[sustran] Re: Participating in UN Regional Workshop on Inspection and Maintenance of Vehicles

Craig Townsend townsend at central.murdoch.edu.au
Sun Nov 25 23:39:18 JST 2001

 From The Nation (Thailand) online edition

New route to health
Published on Nov 25, 2001
Usually smoggy Silom Road will become a picture of health today, as it
hosts the biggest gathering of tai chi practitioners in the country's
history in an event dubbed "Healthy Silom".

This is the second Sunday in the "7 Wonders @ Silom" series, a programme
aimed at saving energy, reducing pollution on Silom Road and promoting
tourism by opening the street up to pedestrians once a week.

Last Sunday's theme was "Green Silom". A bicycle race and other activities
were held on Bangkok's main business thoroughfare, which was closed to traffic.

Dr Tawatchai Laosirihong, head of the campaign, declared last week's event
a success, saying it attracted plenty of interest from the public.

At 04:59 PM 25/11/01 +0530, you wrote:
>Dear Paul and Sustran Friends
>
>My colleague Priya Salvi, Hon Project Coordinator and
>myself are participating in the UN Workshop on the
>Inspection and Maintenance Policy organised in
>Bangkok on 9-12 Dec 2001.  We shall appreciate input
>on this delicate issue from Sustran friends.
>
>We would be delighted to meet Sustran members and
>friends in Bangkok during our stay from 7-14 Dec to
>interact on common issues and to understand the plan
>on car free Silom Road which was flashed on Sustran
>a few weeks ago. We are in Bangkok 7-14 Dec.
>
>We shall appreciate your advising us on our friends in
>Bangkok and elsewhere involved in transport issues.
>Best wishes.
>
>Kisan Mehta  kisansbc at vsnl.com
>Priya Salvi  Hon Project Coordinator

Craig Townsend
Institute for Sustainability & Technology Policy
Murdoch University
South Street, Murdoch
Perth, Western Australia 6150

tel: (61 8) 9360 6278