[sustran] Re: The next WBCSD Mobility study: "Some Cognitive Dissonance direct from Third World Cities"

Todd Litman litman at vtpi.org
Thu Nov 22 03:42:36 JST 2001

My impression of the report is that it can be considered progress, in that
leading members of the business community acknowledge that there are
significant sustainability problems associated with current transportation,
but it also emphasizes the benefits of mobility and so justifies solutions
that rely primarily on improving vehicle design, and shifting to transit in
urban areas. I suspect that it is intended to deflect calls for more
fundamental changes that would significantly reduce vehicle ownership and use.

The danger with this approach is that it can create a self-fulfilling
prophecy: if planners assume that automobile ownership and use will
increase, and that this is good for consumers and the economy, they help
create automobile-dependent transportation systems and land use patterns.

I would not deny the potential benefits of technological improvements in
vehicle design, but in general such technological innovations only address
one or two problems, and they often exacerbate others. For example,
increasing fuel efficiency (through CAFE standards or feebates) may reduce
energy consumption and some pollution emissions, but by reducing
per-kilometer vehicle costs it tends to increase total vehicle mileage (a
"rebound" effect), which increases congestion, crashes, road and parking
infrastructure costs, urban sprawl, and even some types of pollution
emissions (e.g., road dust). Similarly, many strategies to reduce traffic
congestion result in increased fuel consumption, crash costs, pollution and
sprawl. (For disucssion of this issue see "Efficient Vehicles vs. Efficient
Transportation", a paper I'll be presenting at TRB, which is also available
at http://www.vtip.org.)

Sustainability requires more than simply addressing a few particular
problems such as resource consumption and climate change. It requires
balancing a wide range of economic, social and environmental objectives,
and more integrated transportation planning that prevents solutions to one
problem that exacerbate others. I didn't see much in the report that
recognizes this deeper concept of sustainability (for discussion see
http://www.vtip.org/tdm/tdm67.htm.)

A more fundamental approach to sustainability would significantly change
transportation and land use patterns. In particular, it would involve
reforms to correct existing market distortions that favor automobile
ownership and use (see http://www.vtip.org/tdm/tdm60.htm), and it would
favor transportation improvements that provide multiple benefits, rather
than trying to address one transportation problem at a time (see
http://www.vtip.org/tdm/tdm52.htm). Our research indicates that correcting
such market distortions could significantly reduce total motor vehicle
travel, while making consumers better off overall, and increasing economic
efficiency and development.

A specific concern I have about this report is that it argues that
increased mobility is necessary for economic development. While it may be
true that motorized transportation used for production activities may
increase economic productivity and efficiency, there is little evidence
that consumer expenditures on moiblity increase economic development. On
the contrary, there is considerable evidence that consumer expenditures on
vehicles and fuel, and excessive vehicle use burden an economy and reduce
economic efficiency and development. Automobile dependency can be
particularly harmful to developing countries that import vehicles and fuel.
(For discussion see http://www.vtip.org/tdm/tdm54.htm, and "The Economic
Costs of Automobile Dependency" at http://www.vtip.org.)

Sincerely,

Todd Litman, Director