[sustran] Transit Oriented Policies

Todd Litman litman at vtpi.org
Tue Nov 13 02:21:53 JST 2001

I agree that it is important to provide transit priority in traffic to
attract discretionary (what transit planners call "choice") riders, but
there are other factors that can be equally important including parking
availability and pricing, pedestrian accessibility, road pricing, transit
oriented development patterns, and commute trip reduction programs.
Something as simple as parking cash out (allowing commuters who use transit
to have the cash equivalent of what would be spent on free parking if they
drove) can double the portion of transit commute trips.

Although automobile ownership tends to increase with income, up to a point,
there are plenty of examples of cities in wealthy, democratic countries
where alternative modes maintain a major mode share, and where per capita
automobile use is half of what it is in typical North American cities.
Several European cities are success in restraining and even reducing peak
period automobile trips, and current work on road pricing and traffic
restraints sponsored by the European Community may significantly increase
this trend. It is important to avoid creating a self fulfilling prophesy of
increased automobile dependency due to determinist planning (creating
automobile dependent cities to accommodate projected increases in
automobile use based on extrapolations of current trends).

Traffic engineers tend to focus on traffic flow and tend to be unfamiliar
with the full range of economic and land use incentives that need to be in
place, or they mistakenly assume that such incentives are harmful to
consumers or the economy. I believe that it is important that
transportation professionals become more familiar with transportation
demand management, and give them equal consideration with physical design
features.

For more information on various demand management strategies that can
support public transit and other alternative modes see the Online TDM
Encyclopedia: http://www.vtpi.org/tdm. We are just finishing a major update
and have added several new chapters. As always, we appreciate feedback.

Sincerely,

Todd Litman, Director
Victoria Transport Policy Institute
"Efficiency - Equity - Clarity"