[sustran] Re: More on Portland and metros

BruunB at aol.com BruunB at aol.com
Sun Nov 11 10:21:29 JST 2001

Wendell,

I don't disagree that several parallel bus lanes (or LRT lines, for that
matter) are better than one metro line, but how many cities will allow this
much space? I support building many busways, but how many cities will? My
point was that one might have to wait a long time.

One point that was not discussed. Once busways start moving large numbers of
people, they can be very noisy and unpleasant, as the number of diesel
vehicles gets very large. I understand that some businesses are failing along
one of the Sao Paolo busways. Thus, one must also limit the number of buses
or jitneys in any one road.

Eric