[sustran] FW: New Format for SUSTRAN News Flash service

Paul Barter geobpa at nus.edu.sg
Wed May 23 14:36:15 JST 2001

Dear sustran-discussers

FYI, I just sent the message below to the list of recipients of the SUSTRAN
News Flash service which has been dormant for some time. I intend that any
information that I send to the Flash list I will also send to
sustran-discuss. So there is no need to subscribe to both lists. The
difference is that sustran-discuss encourages requests for information,
discussions and debate while the flash list is just for announcements and
news items.

Paul

------------
Dear friends

It is many months since the last SUSTRAN News Flash arrived in your mailbox.
Due to the demands of a new job I have not been able to make time to prepare
the Flashes in their former format which involved many hours of work.

Therefore I now propose a new format that will be less time consuming for me
but which will still provide you with relevant and timely information on
transport issues of relevance to the mission of the SUSTRAN Network, as was
provided by the previous News Flash service.

I propose to forward items individually instead of packaging them into a
newsletter format as before. This also has the advantage of reducing delay
for urgent items. I may edit items a little for length and relevance and,
where possible, will include web links or contacts for more information. I
will exercise editorial discretion to try to maintain a high quality and
well-focussed service.

The sustran-flash list will still be a "one-to-many" list. Only I will be
able to post items. So you will NOT be bombarded with large numbers of
irrelevant messages. I will also try to limit the messages to no more than
one per day. I will try to ensure that the subject line is meaningful.

I would like to remind you all that if you would like to read or take part
in discussions then please consider our other list, the sustran-discuss
list. For more information and archives of messages to sustran-discuss
please see the website, http://www.geocities.com/sustrannet

Your feedback on the new arrangement is most welcome. As usual, please send
news items, announcements, useful links, comments, etc. to
sustran at po.jaring.my

Best wishes,

Paul

Dr Paul Barter
Visiting Fellow, Department of Geography
National University of Singapore
1 Arts Link, Singapore 117570
Tel: +65-874 3860; Fax: +65-777 3091
E-mail: geobpa at nus.edu.sg
(I'm also known as A Rahman Paul Barter)

PS  I am still volunteer contact point for SUSTRAN Network information
services
sustran at po.jaring.my
http://www.geocities.com/sustrannet

For all other SUSTRAN Network matters contact the NEW SECRETARIAT:
Dr Bambang Susantono and Ms Moekti H. Soejachmoen
Sustainable Transport Action Network for Asia and the Pacific (SUSTRAN
Network)
c/o Pelangi Indonesia, Jl. Danau Tondano No. A-4,
Jakarta 10210, Indonesia.
Tel. +(62 21) 573 5020, 571 9360
Fax +(62 21) 573 2503
csti at pelangi.or.id