[sustran] Singapore, Pune, Gandhi and Earth Car Free Day

eric.britton at ecoplan.org eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Fri Mar 16 05:42:04 JST 2001

-----Original Message-----
On Behalf Of Sujit Patwardhan
Sent: Thursday, 15 March 2001 5:55 PM
To: sustran-discuss at jca.ax.apc.org
Subject: Singapore car free day April 14 (?)

Is it April 14th (as in the subject line) or 19th (as in the body of the
text)?
There is already some doubts in the minds of some groups here who insist
that the Earth Day is 22 April and ask how the Vehicle Free Day which we
are trying to organize in Pune, India, on 19th can be a part of Earth Day
Celebrations.
= = = = =

I think we can help here.  Earth Car Free Day is being celebrated planet
wide on 19 April, and indeed the Singapore team has been among the very
first to support this extraordinary global/local.

As is the team from Pune, who were the first to make an entry in the ECFD
database, which went on line this week.  We invite you to visit the site at
www.carfreeday.com which is (at long last and after much blood, seat and
tears) now ready to receive you and your ides and initiatives.  Again that's
at www.carfreeday.com and the Guide Michelin says it's worth a detour.

A final point while I have your ear. As things really begin to get underway
in cities around the world, we are hard at work in building up a centralized
media library.  And part of this, in addition to the usual things such as
collections of logos, articles, media guides, some video and even our own
fine ECFD Detour Bookshop ('better than Amazon and not broke'), we would
also like to offer a pantheon of good, great and possibly even awful slogans
for the occasions.  Thus far we have chosen the wonderful Gandhi words for
this year, "We must be the change we wish to see".  But we also want to
offer a wide range of ideas for others.

So we ask you this. What slogan do you propose that people consider when it
comes to making up their car-free day programs.

I look forward to this with great gusto.

Eric Britton

ecopl at n___  technology, economy, society  ___
Eric.Britton at ecoplan.org     URL ecoplan.org
Day phone: +331 4326 1323 Mobile: +336 80 96 78 79
Voice/Videoconference/Data +331.4441.6340 (1-4)
24 hour Voicemail/Fax hotline: +331 5301 2896