[sustran] New column: "Freak accidents"

SUSTRAN Resource Centre sustran at po.jaring.my
Mon Oct 16 23:23:27 JST 2000

I have a new column is at the local independent news site, Malaysiakini:
http://www.malaysiakini.com/archives_news/2000/oct/oct16/news5.htm

I hope you enjoy it.

Oct 16, 2000
GETTING THERE
A Rahman Paul Barter

Freak accidents

How many times every month do the newspapers report that there has been a
"freak accident" that has killed someone on the roads? I have lost count,
but there seems to be an awfully large number of "freak" accidents in this
country.

How many do there have to be before we start to wonder what was so freakish
about all of these events? Is this apparent epidemic of freak events some
kind of X-file? I think not.

Actually I would love newspaper editors to place the phrase "freak
accident" near the top of their black-list of forbidden expressions along
with the nastiest of those four-letter words. Let me explain what irks me
so much.

for the rest go to Malaysiakini.

Paul BARTER
SUSTRAN Resource Centre
P.O. Box 11501,  50748 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
sustran at po.jaring.my

Information services for the Sustainable Transport Action Network
for Asia and the Pacific (the SUSTRAN Network)
http://www.malaysiakini.com/sustran
http://www.geocities.com/sustrannet