[sustran] Re: Satelite cities : Which transport strategy ?

Jain Alok ajain at kcrc.com
Thu Oct 12 10:39:13 JST 2000

PnR can only be attractive if the land for the parking is cheap and the
parking prices in the city centre is much more expensive as compared to the
PnR. Here in Hong Kong with no subsidy from Government, the PnR experience
is not so encouraging. Land is expensive and is in short supply.
Multi-storey car-parks are never financially viable if the parking rates for
PnR is low. Also, it does not seem to make any considerable impact in
reducing the traffic on the urban area roads. Probably, the critical mass is
lacking.

Railways are a good idea for high density development corridors. Here in HK,
the future new towns are planned to be railway centric with a high degree of
pedestrianisation, lower parking densities, exclusive public transport
corridors etc. If you want more details, check www.info.gov.hk and go to
sites for Planning Department and Transport Bureau.

Alok Jain
Hong Kong