Cox & Litman V5 & Bruun

Milnor H. Senior, III msenior at uswest.net
Wed Feb 23 07:15:47 JST 2000

Dear Jain Alok,
    Please consider that in the air movement powered TransGlide System cycling
speeds will be 40 km in urban areas which is faster than either bus or rail
speeds.  Studies show that trip time is the major factor in determining mode
choice.  By making cycling the fastest mode of transportation in urban areas it
will attract much greater market segments.  Also, there are electric power
assisted cycles and carts with ranges of up to 35 km.  There are already such a
wide variety of cycling products on the market that almost any transportation
consumer can more inexpensively fill their transportation needs with a cycling
product than using a motor vehicle.
    Most travel trips are within reasonable cycling distance.  According to the
1990 Nationwide Personal Transportation Survey in the U.S. the average length of
a travel trip is 9 miles.  Trips to work are slightly longer, while shopping
and other utilitarian trips are shorter.  Work trips account for about 20% of
all trips for private motor vehicles.  The 80% non-work trips may be more easily
converted to bicycle mode than work trips.  These short, frequent intra-urban
trips place a great strain on the transit system overall.  You should find this
quote interesting, "Automobile dominance creates a set of problems so relentless
that societies in coming decades will have no choice but to seek transportation
alternatives."  That is not a quote from some radical environmental group - it
is a quote from the Motor Vehicle Manufactures Association.  Under the category
of actions speak louder than words - in the last 30 days Ford Motor Company has
begun selling electric power assisted cycles.
    Sincerely,
    Milnor H. Senior, III
    President - Bicycle Transportation Systems, Inc.