[sustran] Vehicle pooling - lessons of experience

eric.britton at ecoplan.org eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Sat Apr 15 01:04:15 JST 2000

There is a certain amount of literature available with guidelines which
purport to show how to make car and vanpooling work. Much of this is
implicitly encouraging about both the prospects and the impacts of such
alternative arrangements (including some that we have generated ourselves
over the last 20+ years).

However reality has not always been kind to such projects. In fact it would
seem that more often than not after some opening ballyhoo and early
successes, many if not all seem to fade away without leaving much of a
trace.  And even where they may have worked for a while, it has often proved
quite difficult to keep them afloat very long. As a result, we are left in
sort of a penumbra of ignorance.

Do any of you know of any strong and realistic reports on the successes,
failures and what seems to distinguish the two?  If so, I imagine that there
may be many of us who could usefully have a look in order to temper our own
hopefulness and, in some cases perhaps, our own ignorance. Mine for
instance.

Thank you if you have any leads on this.

Eric Britton

ecopl at n ___  technology, economy, society  ___
Eric.Britton at ecoplan.org     URL www.ecoplan.org
Voice/Videoconference +331.4441.6340 (1-4)
Voicemail/Fax hotline: Europe +331 5301 2896
Voicemail/Fax hotline: North America +1 888 522 6419 (toll free)